Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

teal

Old 08-07-2008, 05:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default teal

so since teal opens in september i have a few questions. what size shot do you guys usually use. cause this will be my first season hunting early teal i don't exactly know where to look for them. should i hunt small creeks or on the river? and how many decoys should i use? and can i use a mojo, if so can i use my mallard mojo or no. any help will be appreciated.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:49 PM

Default RE: teal

I usually use 4 shot and hunt in the river and sloughs teal tend to fly early and fast. Ionly use 4-6 decoys and last yearI did'nt use a mojo but I am gonna try one this year. Really good way to get the ole duck blood flowing.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Teal will cut their own throat to land right on top of a robo duck. Like BigeOrange said, teal fly really early and really fast. They sound like little jets when they come over your head. You don't have to be a good caller or have a huge spread. Teal decoy very easy, they are hard as hell to shoot. I always like to get in a little dove hunting to get me ready for the speed of the teal. Good Luck!!
Old 08-07-2008, 10:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use #4 steel

If you have a Robo duck or even better 2
Use them

I run a Mojo and 12 mallard decoys

Teal Smack down in Ohio starts Sept 6
John
Old 08-09-2008, 09:30 PM
Fork Horn

everybody is pretty much right on...no need for large shot on teal...4's will be fine if you use steel.... decoys are a good idea and if you get their attention teal willusually buzz your decoys.... be ready to shoot and remember don't shoot the wood ducks (unless you're lucky enough to live somewhere there is an early wood-duck season)....
Old 08-10-2008, 01:01 AM

ORIGINAL: johnch

I run a Mojo and 12 mallard decoys
so does everyother guy in America.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:52 AM

ORIGINAL: GordonGekko

everybody is pretty much right on...no need for large shot on teal...4's will be fine if you use steel.... decoys are a good idea and if you get their attention teal willusually buzz your decoys.... be ready to shoot and remember don't shoot the wood ducks (unless you're lucky enough to live somewhere there is an early wood-duck season)....
The bigger the lake the better for teal.Dont have to worry about shooting a woodie here.Legal game.2 or 4 shot will work fine.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

All you need is a couple of hen mallard decoys, you should use hen decoys because ducks dont have much color this time of year and it will look more natural. as far as shot wise you should try to find some 2 and 3/4 inch steel dove loads i typicaly use 6 or 7 and 1/2 shot. they get the job done and they are a couple dollars cheaper. but get out there and do it. they are very fun to hunt and it makes for some very fast action.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:26 PM

Teal have an acrobatic flight pattern giving them the illusion of great speed Mallards can accually fly faster than a teal. I use a dozen teal decoys NO MOJO!!! if teal see your decoys you can bet they will come take a look at them very low and in range.Blue wings are very vocal birds almost like a hen mallard so a good choice would be to take a blue wing call if you see birds in the distance hit the call hard and they will come look for your dekes and when they see them they will be more than willing to fly right over them about 3 ft off the water. Have fun and good luck teal hunting.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:15 PM
Fork Horn

if i use a mojo. would my drake mojo mallard work.

Quick Reply: teal

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.