Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Bands...

Old 04-24-2008, 10:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bands...

Right now I am averaging 1 band out of every 650 honkers that I harvest. So I'm not overly productive on getting my hands on bands. I'm in a terrible area for shooting banded birds. I've been in on a grand total of 4 honker bands, out of those 4 we had to draw names for 3 of them, didn't know who shot them. I was never lucky enough to draw one of those bands. Then as fate would have it, A loner came in 2 seasons ago on my side of the spread, and I shot it, and when my dog brought it to my blind, I noticed some BLING BLING on it.

This spring I got my first ever snow goose band by myself as well. I've been in on many snow goose bands/collars, but never killed one by myself (that we know of anyway).

No duck bands for me yet.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, reading all of this I'm gonna say its definitely location. These guys that shoot 15 bands a season are near areas they do it... I can go out and kill a slew of ducks... never shot one band.
Either which way I'm with swamp, I don't see where they make you a better hunter in anyway, I think its just location.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:22 PM
Spike

Its based mostly on luck. Here in South Florida, where the greenheads never show up, its even more difficult. In my years of hunting, I have only gotten 1 band on a Florida Mottled Duck. Friends have gotten bands on teal and an occasional ringneck.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:41 PM
Inactive

I have been hunting waterfowl since 1958. I've hunted east and south western Ontario as well as Saskatchewan and Queces. In all those years i have collected 1 (one) band.

And believe me i have taken my fair share of birds.

Like Swamp collie and others have said, i personally don't feel left out because i don't have a mess of bands.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I've never shot a band... But today at one of the ponds in my neighborhood was a banded mallard; very pretty. That's the only wild mallard that I've seen in my neighborhood. Every other mallard are wonderbread mallards.
Old 04-26-2008, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rammer

Right now I am averaging 1 band out of every 650 honkers that I harvest. So I'm not overly productive on getting my hands on bands. I'm in a terrible area for shooting banded birds. I've been in on a grand total of 4 honker bands, out of those 4 we had to draw names for 3 of them, didn't know who shot them. I was never lucky enough to draw one of those bands. Then as fate would have it, A loner came in 2 seasons ago on my side of the spread, and I shot it, and when my dog brought it to my blind, I noticed some BLING BLING on it.

This spring I got my first ever snow goose band by myself as well. I've been in on many snow goose bands/collars, but never killed one by myself (that we know of anyway).

Rammer I am very envious of your statisical record keeping abilities... I was proud of myself for keeping track just of how many birds I shot last season... and who knows how many I've shot total... thats impressive and I mean that too brother!
Old 04-27-2008, 03:25 AM

I used to duck hunt all the time in Upstate NY and i never once saw a banded bird. I duck hunted in Ga in 2004 and i saw one banded bird but it was in a friends yard next to his pond. He said the same wood duck pair had shown up 3 years i a row...he knew the pair because the drake wore the same colored band for the last 3 years. Oh well...better luck in the future.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

ORIGINAL: Rammer

Rammer I am very envious of your statisical record keeping abilities... I was proud of myself for keeping track just of how many birds I shot last season... and who knows how many I've shot total... thats impressive and I mean that too brother!
Thank you! The last couple seasons I have let my waterfowl hunting slip a bit. I haven't gone near as much, and my bird count is WAAAY down. I'm going to make that up though this season.

So far the tally for '08 (extended honker season at Pierre) on honkers is 47.
spring snow geese - 15 w/ 1 band

My trick to keeping track is taking my digital camera, then when I upload my pics I date the folder and put them into '08 Waterfowl folder, etc.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats not a bad way to go about it Rammer.

Being in SD, you can let your waterfowling slip a bit and still be miles ahead of everyone else when it comes to #s... I've been to Arkansas and I've been to MO, but I think if I ever went to Montana or either of the Dakotas I'd never come back east again.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, its some mighthy fine hunting here. Only problem is it is getting tougher and tougher to get access to fields. 7 years ago when I got into waterfowl hunting seriously, no one was doing it. Now there are TONS and TONS of people hunting ducks/geese. Its almost a competition to beat the others to the landowners to get permission. Some of the landowners won't even let anyone hunt anymore (places I hunted exclusively for years), they got tired of all the ppl coming to their doors asking permission day in an day out.

If you ever make a SD trip let me know, I'd be glad to hook ya up with some fields!

Quick Reply: Bands...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.