Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Woodies...

Old 03-29-2008, 09:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Woodies...

I have never seen so many wood ducks in my life... everytime I walk out in the woods scouting spring turkeys near a creek here I bump more wood ducks than I've ever seen...
Whatever conservation effort was put in place.. where ever... good on ya...
any one else notice an increase in breeding birds this spring?
Old 03-30-2008, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Woodies...

ORIGINAL: kingvjack

I have never seen so many wood ducks in my life... everytime I walk out in the woods scouting spring turkeys near a creek here I bump more wood ducks than I've ever seen...
Whatever conservation effort was put in place.. where ever... good on ya...
any one else notice an increase in breeding birds this spring?

I did notice that this past season, I saw very few while hunting and shot exactly one. Normally we'd get 5-6 of them, this hunting out in the marsh.. If we hit the timber a lot, its almost a sure thing.

The most wood ducks I've ever seen was when I lived in SC and we'd see groups of 20+... normally a big wad around where I hunt is four.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:59 PM

its all my fault, i set up some wood duck boxes last year lol
Old 03-30-2008, 07:34 PM
Fork Horn

They seem to be increasing every year.I haven't seen very many yet this year, just a few on the canalsbut it's stillsomewhat cold and all the ponds and potholes aren't thawed all the way yet.Some of it is where you hunt or live. The last few years it wasn't uncommon to see flocks of 30+ buzzing fields and small potholes right at closing time. Beautiful birds!
Old 03-31-2008, 04:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had a set of 6 swim up the creek while I was scouting turkey, very nice to sit next to your favorite tree and watch those ducks screw around for a half an hour or so...
Old 04-03-2008, 05:38 PM

Saw more cans and ringers
Old 04-03-2008, 09:57 PM

Early season wood duck hunting around here is crazy. We have a hotspot at the lake nearby that no lie, you will see 100+ in a few hours on an afternoon hunt. I prefer afternoon hunts for this style of hunting. Ill hopefully get some footage of this come September, Ive never in my life seen so many woodies and teal. Limits are easily reached in less than 1 hour. up to 2 woodies andup to 4 teal for a total of 4 ducks per person.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:47 PM
Spike

I've noticed more wood ducks this year too. I live near a creek and there is a load of them in it right now. My wife and I walk down there in the evenings to watch them. Good sign for the fall.
Old 04-06-2008, 02:21 PM

Here in tn early wood duck season is like dove hunting we go to the WMA's and at legal shooting light it is on. You better have your gun loaded and plenty of shells. Last year early season I shot6 boxes of shells in5 days and me and another buddy limited out on woodies and teal everyday. 5 days hunting we killed a total of 40 ducks.

Oh we also killed 10 geese during these hunts as resident goose is open the same time.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

We went out to the hatchery on lake moultrie today, and saw 30+ wood ducks today. This past year, we'd hunt woodros mostly on the saltwater side of buschy park. The action would all happen within ten minutes, and then it'd be over. But, when the ducks were flyin, they were ALL flying. On a good day we'd see around 60, but usually we would only get around 10 to come into range, which is good when the limit is two per person. *more ducks than you can shoot. Our problem is, is that when a woodie is haulin tail, its very hard to get them to change their direction.

Quick Reply: Woodies...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.