Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 Any flooded timber hunters? >

Any flooded timber hunters?

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Any flooded timber hunters?

Old 03-29-2008, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Any flooded timber hunters?

Any of you guys hunt flooded timber? Any pics of your set ups or any actual field pics of you gys hunting?? Thanks
Old 03-29-2008, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Any flooded timber hunters?

I hunt both tidal timber in VA, and have hunted green backwater timber in Arkansas. As for field pics... I ain't even close to brave enough to bring a $400 digital camera along on those hunts... sorry diesel.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:53 AM

I have only duck hunted after deer season until now. Last season got me very interested in ducks again and this coming season I plan to go as much as possible. I have only hunted swamps and flooded timber for 20 yrs. It is a little harder walking in and through I'm sure but I wouldn't have it any other way. I love swamps!! Maybe it's the deer hunter in me I don't know.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks gents, I guess there arent many out there, kind ofwhatI thought. I was contacted by some guys that are die hard flooded timber hunters who told me they think my camo patern would really work well as there isnt much or any green, its just tree trunks. I was thinking about looking at making some stuff for duck hunting but think it would be a really limited market. Thanks for the response SC and Wolf.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:48 PM
Fork Horn

No sir, there are a lot of guys out there that hunt floodedtimber, and you are correct, there is hardly any green out there. I have always looked for a pattern that would look better up against a cypress or white oak than my Hardwoods camo, but that's about the best I've found for timber. Hardwoods is good, but it tends to look like a dark blob up against a white oak or cypress. All the major manufacturers seem to think that all duck hunting takes place in East Arkansas and that everyone is hunting in reeds. Therefore, most "duck" camo is made to look like reeds. Here is a picture of a timber hole that was taken during squirrel season, so it contradicts what I said about there being no "green" in timber. However, when duck season rolls around, there is much more water and all the green is gone.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Diesel I agree with crow...

When I am hunting timber, I am usually wearing either MOBU (old style) or hardwoods... if not that then just natural grey/brown earth tones while hugging a tree.

Most waterfowl hunters are camo freaks, and half of the young ones don't know what the heck they are doing, but everything has to be camo. They are like bass fishermen... more hungup in their equipment than how to use it sometimes. I think there is definately a market for it. You just need to target geographic markets.... selling it through Mack's Prairie Wings in Stuttgart, Arkansas (home of flooded timber hunting) would be a great move.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:42 PM

I prefer to hunt divers but being from mid GA if I want to hunt close to my house I have to get back in the swamps and flooded timber ( Plus woodys are the best eating) I just wear the regular advantage or mossy oak like what I would wear during deer season It seems to work they dont flare too often.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

sorry, i dont have any pics of the holes, and blinds. i will get some this upcoming season and post them

Old 04-05-2008, 03:36 PM

This is on the drive out going through a water hole, but basically the hunting holes look similar, only bigger and much deeper.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:11 PM
Spike

I hunt in Hornersville, MO bottomland. Mostly flooded timber. Ill try to find some pics. Its mostly conservation land though....so its a fight for it in the mornings. Id rather hunt that than in a pit though.

Quick Reply: Any flooded timber hunters?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.