Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Hevishot vs steel

Old 02-20-2008, 09:06 PM

Default Hevishot vs steel

Do you think that Hevishot is worth the price over good ol' steel?
Old 02-20-2008, 09:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hevishot vs steel

for geese, yes i do, for duck no. and it also depends on how tall your geese are, if there low ive killed specks with #2steel, but ig there tall i feel hevi does the trick. my dad got his second honker ever only cause he was shooting hevi's
Old 02-21-2008, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

As huntnteen said, for geese absolutely! I shot Hevishot for the first time this year and I clearly had an advantage over the guys that shot steel. I shot Hevishot #2's for geese.It really paid off late in the season when the geese were wary and wouldn't come in to our spread like they did in the beginning of the season. Try a box. You'll be hooked.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:52 PM

we used it a time or two hunting in ga and i don't think it's worth the price over regular steel at all i mean 25$ a box or 7-14$ a box your choice
Old 02-21-2008, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, me and my buddy downed four wood ducks when we shot at the same time. Two shots, four ducks with #2s at about 25 yards, if that means anything to ya.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:01 PM
Fork Horn

It's worth it to me. I wait until I find a sale and stock up. Just bought four 25 box cases of 20 gauge 3" Hevi brand for $10.00 a box. Also picked up three 25 box cases of the Rem. Hevi 2 3/4" 20 gauge shells for $13.00 a box. Got 25 boxes of Fed Ti 12 ga 3" #4 shot for $8.00 a box and should have bought 200 boxes. I learned from that buy all you can when you find it.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

YES.

Basically, there is no arguing with the physics. Sure, steel can kill ducks. For some hunters, steel will kill all the ducks they shoot at. For other hunters, including me, some ducks are going to be recovered when shot with Hevishot that otherwise would not have been recovered if shot under the same conditions with steel.

I don't shoot a gazillion shells during duck season. I get to hunt maybe four weekends per year. On a weekend, I might shoot 20 shells, likely less. If I shoot Hevishot, that is $50 of shells or less. That may sound like a lot of money, but on this same weekend I've driven 500 miles (250 miles there, 250 miles back) and spent maybe $40 on gasoline. I've spent some money on food. It seems I'm always buying some sort of new gear -- decoys, game carriers, waders, anchor weights, etc., etc. Then there is the non-resident hunting license and state duck stamp and federal duck stamp. When it comes right down to it, my cost for Hevishot is less than 50% of my hunting expense, and yet it may have the greatest influence on how many birds I bring home with me. If I flat out could not afford Hevishot, I would shoot steel and be happy. I can, however, afford Hevishot and feel glad to shoot it.

I do sometimes think that maybe in the future I'll become a better shotgun shooter and may be able to perform well enough with steel to forgo Hevishot, but it would be a decision based on not having many cripples -- which I hate. It could also be a function of learning better how to pass on ducks that are beyond my range with steel. But where I'm at today I'm glad to be able to afford and use the Hevishot.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Depends on how good a shot you are.

If you couldn't hit your ass with both hands then you might as well get you a pocket full of rocks and not ring my ears.

I've been shooting (or should I say shot) Hevi for better than a decade. Usually load it as the first shell and back it up with two steel. Before they monkey'd with the formula for that new Hevi-shot duck BS they have now, you'd never have to shoot a cripple. I shot swans, geese and ducks with regular 2 3/4" #6 hevi-shot. When Evironmetal took the loading back over and changed it from just hevi-shot to hevi-duck and hevi-goose... no more. I'm sitting on $400 worth of that hevi-duck junk.

I think that the new HEVI_SHOT DUCK (9.7gr/cc) is one of the biggest waste of money products on the market. Spend another dollar and get the Goose (12gr/cc) which is the REAL hevi-shot.

As for what I'm doing now... shooting up the rest of my hevi-duck... then sticking with Hevi-steel. Basically the same thing as hevi-duck (just a touch less dense) but MUCH less expensive). I shoot too many birds a year to shoot a high density shot exclusively.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont think it is worth it, I watched a snow goose taken down at 80 yards with #2's remington's high speed steel. Steel does the trick fasteel is all I use.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: huntingbuddy419

I watched a snow goose taken down at 80 yards with #2's remington's high speed steel.

Quick Reply: Hevishot vs steel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.