Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

my '08 Duck season

Old 01-26-2008, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default my '08 Duck season

Well, the season closes tommorow. The lake I hunt is completely frozen over, I have 2 points that have open water on them, only because some unfortunate soul got up at 430 this morning and went out and chopped the ice up with an axe (3inches thick)... which I think may be illegal, so Don't tell on the guy....
Anywho, I often take folks out that didn't hunt ducks before or whatnot and get them involved in duck hunting.... Its pretty fun, but on the last day... I'm goin alone... me and the ducks... today I had some cans and a ton of goldeneye come in and gave up the shooting to the novices and called all day.... I fired one shot... no one killed any birds...

So, I get to look forward to cleaning deeks and touching up paint and whatnot and gettin things put away for the year...
And with a sorrowfull heart...
Tomorow at noon... my duck season ends...
[&o]
Old 01-26-2008, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: my '08 Duck season

I hear that buddy. My duck season ends tomorrow too... but instead of the lake being frozen over, its dried up. We went out today, and its all dried up except for some very low spots... maybe two feet deep maximum. We setup at one little hole and saw two or three wads of teal, two common mergansers, and six buffleheads. But, none came within range.

All we managed to kill was a bunch of wood ducks, some mallards, and a merganser. It was a rough season...
Old 01-26-2008, 09:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

My season ends tomorrow. Went this morning and had quite a few Mallards, but they were extremely wary and difficult to work, even with very little calling and very few dekes. I managed to get 3 Mallards. I knocked down a fourth but he got in the tall stuff and I couldn't find him. I could have limited out on spoonies alone, but didn't want to. Even the Gadwalls are skittish. The spoonies on the other hand just dive bomb into my decoys. Going to try a different method in the morning. Since tomorrow is the last day, I just may have to bust me a couple of spoonies to finish out a limit. Good luck to all on your last day. Maybe next year will be better.
Old 01-27-2008, 03:22 PM

Well season closes today and man I tell ya what a way to end it. We have killed over 50 ducks a day everyday since last thursday. We ended up with 731 ducks out of the pit this year. Best year we have had in 4 years. Already planning for next season
Old 01-27-2008, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on a great season. Isn't it great when everything works out. My season closed today and I had more Mallards this weekend than the rest of the season. Got to put my duck calls up and get the turkey calls out. I guess this year could have been worse. At least I had plenty of water for the whole 2nd split. BTW, I finished out the season this morning with 3 Mallards, 2 spoonies, and 1 Gadwall.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:05 PM

Yep super that is what I am doing got the duck calls cleaning and getting the turkey calls out ready to smoke some turkeys.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:16 PM

Congrats on a great season do you guide hunts or is it just a private club? Me and some of my buddies from work are wanting to get together and do a west TN duck hunt next year if you know of anyone let me know.Thanks!
Old 01-27-2008, 05:46 PM

Big orange we lease a pit here in West TN we don't guide out of it but I do know a few awesome places to go on a guided hunt. There is some good places on reelfoot that are awesome. There is one in halls,tn that is good and some other places but reelfoot is about the best. Go to reelfoot.com and there is some on there. I will find the others that I know website and get them to you also.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, yesterday ended on a good note... I was covered up with geese. That frozen lake has at least 8000 geese stacked up on it....
I did plow a mallard early but after that it was a limit of geese for me!!!

Thankfully, Goose does not end until Feb 17th! I love watchin those big ass birds cut the wind and circle on in... I'll try and tape a hunt if I can too...
Here's my setup

Old 01-28-2008, 09:47 PM

congrats on the geese king

I shot my first banded bird on saturday, a hooded merganser. I figure that was almost the perfect ending to a duck season so didn't go out yesterday.

may have to come compete with you for some of those geese though king.

Quick Reply: my '08 Duck season

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.