Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

What a pitiful season

Old 01-18-2008, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What a pitiful season

This has got to be one of the most disappointing seasons I have ever had. I hunt in usually duck rich northeast La. I've had plenty of water for most of the season, but the ducks still haven't showed up. I usually limit out on Mallards on just about every hunt. This year I have limited out only twice, and that was tough. The ducks just aren't here this year. Some hunters are having decent luck, but the majority are experiencing the same thing I am. Are they all just stuck up north getting fat on the hundreds of sanctuaries designed to slow down any significant southward migration? Ever since 2000, duck populations down here have gone way down. The 90's was the duck bonanza for us. I have gone out fewer times this season than I can remember in a long time. We've got some pretty nasty weather out there tonight. Predicted to actually snow an inch tonight. That's very rare for down here. If tomorrow morning is no good, then no day will be good. Season closes next weekend and I have to say good riddens. Bring on the turkeys. Anybody else having a tough season? Anybody having a great season?
Old 01-18-2008, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What a pitiful season

This seasons been the shiat so far for geese... and I heard the migration is just getting into full swing now...
Ducks have sucked
Old 01-18-2008, 10:11 PM
Spike

i hunt IL. Our year has been ok. the early part of season was way to warm. no ducks moving south from can &MN. it got good for about a month. then deep freeze. then a 50* week . thawed every thing . screwed it all up ducks and geese didn't know what to do. now duck is closed but still some around. real cold though 0* tonight.
hope you see some.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I all over SC, and the drought is working horrible for the ducks. Lake Marion and Lake Moultrie are almost completely dried up... Places where there used to be over 10 feet of water are now dry, and people are driving their trucks out into the lake. Graves and houses are coming up, and the ducks are scarce.

We had a nice woodie hole on saltwater at the beginning of the season, but now the ducks are call and decoy shy because the rubbernecks have invaded our spot. They are shooting at the ducks way to far away and teaching them. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure you're not going to hit a duck more than 100 yards out, so why would you shoot at them?
Old 01-19-2008, 10:30 AM
Fork Horn

Same here in Magnolia AR.Went to Lake Columbia this morning.I saw one small flock of geese headed somewhere else.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

its been to warm
Old 01-19-2008, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, the central flyway has seen some descent weather... It was good enough to keep the ice from locking the lake up this morning, Had 3 flights of ducks at 50 birds in each bomb us... we were done by 830....
Old 01-21-2008, 06:43 PM

we've had a fantastic season this year i live in missouri
Old 01-21-2008, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: duckmann01

we've had a fantastic season this year i live in missouri
I heard most of the ducks just didn't make it pass MO. this year.Even Ark. was fairly slow for most hunters. Congrats on a good season. Can only get better next year. Usually a slow year in La. would be a good year for many, but not this year.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

this past weekend my hunting partners shot 16 geese and 28 ducks (4 full limits for the 4 of them) then on sunday we shot 7 geese and 5 ducks, it sucks our season is picking up and we have one more weekend

Quick Reply: What a pitiful season

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.