Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Rem 11-87

Old 01-04-2008, 05:42 PM

Default Rem 11-87

I'm looking into getting a Rem. 11-87... I saw where there are different types of 11-87's. I want to use it for waterfowl. I was curious what the difference between the sportsman and the waterfowl edition one are? I know there is a price difference of a $100 or more. I would like to keep the price under 700-750 is that possible?? Currently I'm shooting a mossberg 935 and had enough of it and want to trade it in for an upgrade. Any suggestions would be great!! thank you!
Old 01-04-2008, 06:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Rem 11-87

I have got a Rem 11-87 Sportsman and it is a SWEEEEET gun... Mine is all black and I love it! I just bought it, I was shooting a Mossberg 500 and I won't go back or switch to another gun. If you get the black one I think I bought it for around $550 at Gander mtn. A great modification is to buy a PatternMaster Choke Tube for it. This will cost around $100 but its soo worth it. With this gun and a PatternMaster, ducks won't stand a chance!!
Old 01-04-2008, 06:43 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I bet the waterfowl editon is camoflaged. Matte or flat black is just as good.

I use a 11-87 - 26" barrel for close in shooting over decoys on big water and could not be happier!

Mine is a SP model - Matte finish on the barrel and reciever. Now I do take this barrel off and replace witha SP cantlever barrel and go turkey hunting. This barrel is scoped with a Nikon Monarch turkey pro!

JW
Old 01-04-2008, 08:28 PM

The waterfowl edition is probably in a 3.5" chamber where as the sportsman is in a 3". If you plan on duck hunting I would recommend a gun that has a 3.5" chamber capacity. Keep the gas ports clean and have a spare O ring and you will have a great gun.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the sportsman model in camo and I love it. It's is chambered for 3" like chaselton suggested. I don't have a problem with that and I picked mine up at Wal-Mart for $549.
Also I couldn't agree more with chaselton about the extra O rings. I don't think that mine have ever failed while the gun was operating, but I've had two that were broken when I took the gun apart to clean. I think that they broke while I was removing the fore grip and barrel, but can't say for sure. The gun has never not fired which is why I say that.
I must say though, if you had the money, browning is the way to go. I helped my buddy break his down, and it puts my 11/87 to shame. All of my internal parts look like stamped crap compared to that of the browning. All of his parts looked machined. That said, the gun shoots great, so I guess that is what really matters. I guess you get what you pay for.

Good luck,

KP