HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Waterfowl Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting-7/)
-   -   Need Duck Call Ideas (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting/217568-need-duck-call-ideas.html)

A.R.Hunter 11-13-2007 06:50 PM

Need Duck Call Ideas

I am looking at purchasing a new duck call. Was curious to what people prefer here. Which is the best, or are they all about the same. And, where is the best place to get the best price.

ElkNutz 11-13-2007 07:21 PM

RE: Need Duck Call Ideas

RNT!:D

SwampTHING 11-13-2007 07:54 PM

Everyone is different in what calls they can make sound good. My go to calls are a haydels DR-85, Primos PHAT lady and my ultimate go too callsare the cheapest ones I own, a Knight and Hale single Reed and on OLT D-2. I own several higher end calls and honestly,, they are more lanyard ornaments that anything!

2footroper 11-14-2007 06:32 AM

Haydel and Buck Gardner

WaterFowler07 11-14-2007 06:43 AM

I like Duck Commander calls, the classic is the most duck-like call i've ever heard and it's only like $20.

deerhunter518 11-14-2007 06:00 PM

the easiest ones to call are the double reed calls and in my opinion the doubles sound the best they givea little more raspiness to the tone. the single reeds will give you better tone range but are harder to learn on. to me i dont want to work harder when calling than when shooting so i stick with a double reed. I use a kight and hale bachlorette and a remington double reed

CanadaSlammer69 11-14-2007 08:00 PM

primos lorreta hen. best sounding double reed for the money. double reeds are the way to go. this call sounds like a hen mallard plain and simple

Buffinator 11-15-2007 08:51 AM

The double reed vs. single reed issue has been blown way out of whack. I started on a single reed, then got a double reed, then proceeded to never use the double reed calls. Now, I don't even keep one on my lanyard. Single reeds are more versatile.....you can blow straight air through them and make some hail calls, and then tone it down and put a little grunt through the call to bring the ducks down. I just don't like having to switch calls during a calling sequence. Sure, double reeds have their place in duck hunting........that place just isnt on my lanyard.

TN Deer Hunter 11-15-2007 10:50 AM

ORIGINAL: Buffinator

The double reed vs. single reed issue has been blown way out of whack. I started on a single reed, then got a double reed, then proceeded to never use the double reed calls. Now, I don't even keep one on my lanyard. Single reeds are more versatile.....you can blow straight air through them and make some hail calls, and then tone it down and put a little grunt through the call to bring the ducks down. I just don't like having to switch calls during a calling sequence. Sure, double reeds have their place in duck hunting........that place just isnt on my lanyard.
My thoughts exactly I started on a double and know I don't even own one. With a single reed call I can go straight from getting the highball to a low raspy hen in one breath. It just takes practice.

GooseHunter Jr. 11-16-2007 08:20 PM

I like my RNT and my Foiles Timber rattler.