Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Pretty penny duck calls!!

Old 08-10-2007, 01:23 PM
Typical Buck

Default Pretty penny duck calls!!

Is there a duck call out there that cost over $100 that is truley worth over $100 dollars. Is there that much of a difference in a call around $30 or $50 and a call that is over $100. Just wondering before I make an investment. Your help is appriciated.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:28 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Pretty penny duck calls!!

I really do believe that some of the calls out their that are 100 and up, that yeah some are really worth it... I have used alot of 20 and 30 dollar calls and the difference when you put the 2 against each other you will see the difference... I use the Mallard Mauler by bernie boyle and the BGB call and they are both spendy calls but are amazingly much better in my opinion.. Just like I have said in threads before if you dont know how to use the call a million dollar call wont do a bit of good but with practice and time in the field you can make any call sound decent but a good call is really priceless in my opinion...
Old 08-10-2007, 11:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've killed more ducks with a 6 dollar primos than any of my other duck calls. I own several of the high end calls, but I think all of 'em will kill ducks. Knowing how to read the birds and knowing how and when to call will make a much bigger difference, than the call itself!

P.S. I would really recommend the Buck Gardner products and learning tapes to anyone that was just starting. Good Luck!!!
Old 08-11-2007, 09:46 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with pyclub, practicing and mastering a call is more important than the actual cost, althoughI have found that acrylic calls seem to have a wider range of sounds, and seem easier to produce, but thats just my opinion.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:48 PM
Fork Horn

double post
Old 08-12-2007, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Different calls are just like different shoes. What fits right on one person may not be right on another. Conversely, different shoes are right for different situations. I don't wear my tennis shoes to the office, nor my wingtips in the duck blind.

So, while Echos sound good to me (nothing I blow sounds good to ducks), I've heard some guys who sound terrible on them, but great on BGB calls.

There have been mornings when my wooden Echo has pulled ducks out of the ionosphere, and then the next morning, flared them wildly; and only the old dead steady DC or a DR-85 would make them commit.

So are $100 calls worth it.... sometimes....
Old 08-13-2007, 11:32 AM
Fork Horn

RnT Short Barrels or Daisy Cutters are worth the bank. I'm getting me an acrylic Timbre call to try out this coming season.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:41 AM
Fork Horn

Well said DuckHuntin, I also use acrylic calls, I have strickly gone to them.. The wide array of sounds that can be produced is much better than the wood and plastic calls..
Old 08-13-2007, 07:29 PM
Typical Buck

I purchased a acrylic call made by echo a couple of weeks ago. As far as I know it sounds pretty good. It is a double reed and it cost me $27.00. I will look into some of the calls you guys have recomended, but will wait till next year to purchase probably. I can usually talk my self into buying somthing easier than talking my self out of buying. I read an article the other day about tips for duck calling. One tip said to say the word quack or quick to make the quack sound, and to say ticka and tucka realy fast to make a mallard feeding call. Have any of you heard anything like this or have any other tips for calling ducks.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Roadkillwarrior

I purchased a acrylic call made by echo a couple of weeks ago. As far as I know it sounds pretty good. It is a double reed and it cost me $27.00. I will look into some of the calls you guys have recomended, but will wait till next year to purchase probably. I can usually talk my self into buying somthing easier than talking my self out of buying. I read an article the other day about tips for duck calling. One tip said to say the word quack or quick to make the quack sound, and to say ticka and tucka realy fast to make a mallard feeding call. Have any of you heard anything like this or have any other tips for calling ducks.
I hate to sink your ship bro, but that Echo you bought probably wasn't Acrylic. It looks it, but its acctually what call makers call poly (short for something I can't remember). But it is a molded call (you'll be able to see the seam), while acrylic is MUCH harder, and is turned on a lathe from a single cylender.

But trust me, I have hunted with those poly Echo's before, and they will call ducks just a good as anything else that doesn't have feathers.

For a quack, I say WICK or WET. What is important is making sure your tounge hits the roof of your mouth at the end of the note. The letters K and T both make you do this. When stringing multiple notes together for a greeting call, make sure your notes do not run together! This is vital.

The feed chuckle is kinda tough... I do say ticka ticka ticka tugga tugga tugga ticka ticka as fast as I can. You'll get faster and faster as you practice.

Quick Reply: Pretty penny duck calls!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.