Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
Single reed vs. Double reed >

Single reed vs. Double reed

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Single reed vs. Double reed

Old 12-29-2002, 09:55 PM

Default Single reed vs. Double reed

I was looking at the Echo duck calls. I have a choice of either a single reed or double reed. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?
Old 01-01-2003, 11:36 AM

Default RE: Single reed vs. Double reed

Opinions vary, but the general concensus is that the single reed is a little harder to master, but rewards you with a much broader range of real raspy duck like sounds once you do. the double reed probably would be fine for all but the most advanced callers though. I have both and there are advantages and disadvantages, just like anything else. but I still believe if you are serious about duck hunting that you should start with a single reed arkansas style call and go from there. from my personal experience i started with a bud gardner call, and found it real easy to learn on.
Old 01-02-2003, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Single reed vs. Double reed

I have single and double reed calls. For beginners, double reeds are probably the easier way out. They sounds raspier than single's. But as g-duck said, with practice, once you get to be a fairly good caller, single's are hard to beat. Most experienced duck hunters I know use single reeds and nothing else. Good luck in your choosing.

Peace Through Strength