Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

practicing calling

Old 07-19-2007, 08:10 PM

Default practicing calling

how do u guys practice either callin ducks or geese? i bought the duckology 101 and now that i know how to call i want to practice, because my ole coach always said practice makes perfect. well i have about an half hour drive from work every day and i play around with my calls during then but i want to listen to ducks so i can mimic (sp?) them. do u guys download ducks then just replay them over and over or what do u guys do? just want some ideas because i dont want to start playin around and get the wrong cadence and screw my calling up. the duck commander cd is great but that can only take me so far. thanks. peter b.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:16 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: practicing calling

i sit on my dock and call ducks, if they come to me, i use that call, if they go away, i try somethin else.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here is the thing to remember: There is a big difference between duck calling and calling to ducks.

The single most important aspect with regards to calling TO ducks is timing. You have probably heard wingtips and tailfeathers before. And its an excellent point.

The problem I see quite often is hunters watch a lot of videos and listen to a lot of tapes, and what they hear is lots and lots and lots of calling. Thats great, because it sells videos and tapes, and it calls judges, but it doesn't really call ducks to you.

There are places, especially as you go further and further down the flyways, where lots of calling can NOT hurt you. Big flooded rice fields that hold thousands of birds, and hunting over hundreds of decoys... well.... you can't exactly make too much racket. But the really great hunts I have been on, have all happened with less than 20 blocks, and in fairly small waters comparitively. Having a pair of mallards come in to a spread of 250 decoys in a 500 acre rice field ain't exactly all that impressive to me.

Timing and cadence are important. You don't want to be too loud, but not too soft either. The DC cd's will go over all that with you. There is nothing I can type that can teach you better than a CD.

Just keep in mind that calling is a reinforcement... nothing but nothing and no one anywhere can get a duck to go where he doesn't want to be in the first place. Being in the right spot, having the right wind, and using decoys effectively are the real keys to success in my experience. Next on that list, would be not calling incorrectly. I've killed plenty of birds that I have never had to call at, and several that I've only called at once or twice with a soft greeting, comeback or a few quacks.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow that was said well, even with out a CD.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:17 AM

When I was learning to call I went to the refuge and listened to ducks call to each other and react to each other and socialize. But when in ablind wingtip and tail feathers is the best advice i ever recieved and trying different things on the calling and learning what the ducks want and when If one call spooks ducks try another you have to be able to change to what the ducks want besides what you think the ducks want
Old 07-23-2007, 06:57 AM

I like to just go fishing and listen to how the ducks and geese call to each other.Like SwampCollie said you can be to aggressive and actually hurt yourself hunting.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:58 PM

LISTEN EVERYONE HAS THERE OWN PREFERENCE ON CALLING BUT I CAN TELL YOU TO BUY A CERTAIN CALL AND YOU WONT MAKE THE SAME SOUNDS COMEOUT OF IT THAT I WOULD. YOU HAVE TO GET A CALL THAT IS EASY FOR YOU TO BLOW AND FEELS RIGHT TO YOU AND PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE..........I OWN AND OPERATE A OUTFITTING SERVICE AND I CAN TELL YOU THERE IS WAY TO MUCH CALLIN GOING ON MOST OF THE TIME. TRIAL AND ERROR AND THATS REALLY THE BEST WAY TO LEARN...BUT REMEMBER WHEN THE GEESE ARE FLYING OVERHEAD DONT CALL WHEN THERE BETWEEN TEN AND TWO AND DEFINETALY DONT CALL IF THERES LIVE DECOYS ON THE GROUND ................THATS THE BEST WAY TO PULL EM DOWN IN BIG NUMBERS LET A FEW PAIRS SET DOWN IN YOUR SPREAD..........WELL THATS MY THOUGHTS ON THAT AND GOOD LUCK TO YOU............
Old 07-27-2007, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I second the sitting by a refuge or pond and listening to them talking to each other.. then mimicking it. Thats how I practice...

Also use the commute to practice.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:13 PM
Fork Horn

Nothing makes people freak out any more than looking over at the truck next to them at a stop light and seeing some Duck Freak blowing on a call. It's great practice and tons of fun. But as other's have said, call ducks, not trophy's. In fact, I keep my calls in my pocket and only bring them out occasionally. Especially when ducks have lots of hunters.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Scouting - listening to how birds interact in the environments that you will be hunting is very important.

Quick Reply: practicing calling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.