Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Decoy Brands

Old 07-07-2007, 02:18 PM

Default Decoy Brands

I am getting ready to buy some new decoys. What brand do you guys prefer using? I am leaning towards GHG I think that I am going to get a couple dozen "Hot Buy" mallards and a half dozen life size series woodies. Does any one have any experience with GHG and what should I look out for.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Decoy Brands

GHG decoys are some of the best decoys i think. That is all ill buy for my full body goose decoys and mallards. Watch out for the Flambeau masters series, the paint chips like crazy. From my experience the ghg hot buy mallards have also worked great, they are very realilistic and pretty cheap. I would go ahead and buy GHG.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:35 PM

i also had a problem with flambeau brand, of a dozen 5 drakes didn't float curently have two dozen of the hot buy and no problems only one year old though
Old 07-07-2007, 11:39 PM

GHG is simply the best, i have the life size woodies and they look real on the water. paint held up great too. i too might pick up some hot buy mallards this season, the paint on my old flambeaus is almost gone in places, and they are startin to look bad.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:46 PM
Typical Buck

I would definately buy the hot buy mallards. For the price you just can't beat it. I find only two downsides:

1. The paint will hold up only two seasons MAX. I buy a new dozen every year and sell my year olds for 50% of what I paid for them. I also hunt 3-5 days a week, from the end of september until the 2nd week of dec (or when the water freezes), so there's a bit more wear on them than what would be considered normal.

2. My only real grief is they all look the same. I mean the heads are all pointed the same direction; don't move and have the same expression.

That said, I'll keep on loading up on a new dozen every year and then add 6 others to change the scene. I'm a bit partial to the G&H right now, but there are some nice other products on the market.

Good luck,
Old 07-08-2007, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

For goose deeks, I like the look of the big foot brand, I have both G&H and big foot in the floaters, both work well so far and I just like the look of the big foot better.

Can not help you on the ducks, I may try the G&H on thoes.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you want honest to God will last a lifetime decoys, then put up the cash and buy some Herters from Cabelas. The burlaped deeks are great, and they have a kit where you can buy your own blank bodies, and burlapping your own is really not any harder than that paper mache pinyata everyone made back in 7th grade spanish class.

The GHG aren't bad, but you have to baby them. The paint chips off fairly easily. The original HOT BUY mallards sucked. The paint almost melted off of them when they hit the water. They changed the way they bake the paint on, and now they are substantially better, but don't get any ideas about beating those things around, because you'll have black decoys in no time flat.

G&H decoys are pretty tough as well.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:57 AM

Ive got2 doz. of the HotBuys, and theyre a great decoy for the money. Like others have said, you do have to baby them a bit...
Ill second SwampCollie on Heters Decoys; Ive got a few dozen of my Grandfathers we still hunt.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:37 AM

Me I like the Final Approach for geese and I thinf GHG makes the best looking ducks just make sure you spend a few extra bucks and get weighted keel!They will make your life alot easier!
Old 07-10-2007, 01:30 PM

Thanks guys for all the info. Is there any other decoy brands out there and what would be the possible problems with them? I want to look at all of my options before I buy anything.

Quick Reply: Decoy Brands

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.