Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Getting Started

Old 07-01-2007, 07:00 PM

Default Getting Started

Waterfowl hunting looks like a lot of fun, but how/where do I start? I don't have any waterfowl hunting gear (aside from a shotgun) and I don't know anyone that goes duck or goose hunting. I feel kinda strange walking up to some stranger saying "can I go hunting with you?..." Whats the best way to get started from scratch when I don't know anyone who goes? Does anyone have any helpful hints?
Old 07-01-2007, 09:28 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Getting Started

Read as many of these posts as you can. Also get books from either the library or internet. M.D. Johnson has two great books out that you should check out, Successful Duck Hunting and Successful Goose Hunting. Just build up as much background info as you can, and your right it is a ton of fun and you will be hooked in no time.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

The best way to learn is to hunt with good hunters. You can learn more from one hunt with good hunters than you can from a bunch of books. If you were here in ColoradoI would take you in a heartbeat as long as you were legal and safe. There is nothing better than teaching someone else what you love so much! I'm sure you can find someone like me where you live. Go to your local sporting goods stores and ask the guys there the same way you asked on here. If you ever head to Colorado, give me a PM andI will take you for sure! Good Luck!

Edit- Ask your local DOW or your local game warden who they could hook you up with. You might be surprised how much they will try to help.

Later Bryan
Old 07-02-2007, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

i fno one you hunt with duck hunts then this is what i would do(and what i did at one time). i had permission to hunt private land. at the begining of the sdeason i went and scouted all of the ponds to see which ones had birds on them.then when i wanted to hunt isatbeside the pool(in some brushy area) and waited for the birds to come in. just take a fishing pole with you and a top water lure and you can retrive them that way. or find someone who duck hunts.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:53 PM

Sent you a link too check out... If you cant find someone on there too hel you out,, id be shocked,,, pretty sure there is about 30,000 or so diehard waterfowlers on there.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:33 PM

Just get T shot shells(Federal)go to thre river and hunt