Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Shotshell Advances

Old 07-01-2007, 06:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default Shotshell Advances

Hello,
It has been 9 long years since I waterfowl hunted and will be getting back into it this year after I pick up my shotgun from my Dads. There will be a few ducks in there, but primarily Geese.

I used to shoot 3.5" #1 and BB steel loads Winchester or Federal. What have are advances in this area. Bismuth was out any others? what are your recommendations with the newer loads? or

Is Steel still the preffered load?
Old 07-01-2007, 09:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Shotshell Advances

Well first off, yes steel is the preferred load, although some brands nowadays claim the alloys they use are denser than lead. Winchester and Federal are definatly quality shells in my opinion. I se both, along with some Kent "fasteel". Remington also manufactures "Hevi Shot" which will cost you a bit extra, especially in 3.5". I usually stick with the Federal and Kent, either #2's or BB for goose, and 3's of 4's for ducks.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

First of all you don't need 3.5 inch shells. I used them for years, and they just don't pattern as well as 3 inch, and they cost more dough. This is not just my opinon. Do some research and you will find many hunters that are more qualified than me, that say the same. I have also been using Kent Fasteel for years, and if you are shooting decoyed birds it works great. One more thing, If you are doing your job as a waterfowler and getting the birds to land in your spread, an improved choke is all you need. If you are not shooting decoyed birds, give me a PM and I will try and teach you how to really hunt!
Old 07-02-2007, 08:28 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks I planned on only buying 3"shells in Federal or Winchester as that is the brand I used for years. I actually traded a 10ga for the 835 couldn't be happier.

Birds over decoys, that has been awhile, a long while

Old 07-02-2007, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DuckHuntin247

Well first off, yes steel is the preferred load, although some brands nowadays claim the alloys they use are denser than lead. Winchester and Federal are definatly quality shells in my opinion. I se both, along with some Kent "fasteel". Remington also manufactures "Hevi Shot" which will cost you a bit extra, especially in 3.5". I usually stick with the Federal and Kent, either #2's or BB for goose, and 3's of 4's for ducks.
Well, steel is the best selling load. Its also the cheapest. But I can tell you for certain that if Hevi or any of the other high density non-tox metals were the same price as steel, no one would be shooting it. So I don't really think that its the "prefered" load. The most economical perhaps, but that depends on how many ducks you shoot, and how good a shot you are.

I shoot mainly 2 3/4 #6 or #7.5 Hevi shot for ducks. For Geese, I'll just use #6, although I do have some #4 that I found for a very good price that I have been using, and they of course work just fine too. That said, I shoot one Hevi SHOT shell first, and then back it up with two Hevi STEEL loads. Since the first shot is the most important one. That way, I am saving money, but still using something that in my experience is LEAPS AND BOUNDS better than steel shot. Don't get me wrong, a steel pellet through the brain is the same as a lead pellet or a gold pellet or anything else. But I've followed more than one wound channel around bones that did not break on ducks and geese. And after having a few birds fall "stone dead" with steel, only to come back to life and be lost, I started shooting the hevi stuff. And to date have lost exactly one bird with it (and I shot it in the can...it was my fault...long story).

As much money as I spend on waterfowl hunting....another $100 a year on shells ain't gonna hurt me too bad...espeically considering how many birds I don't have to shoot once in the air and twice on the water. The shotgun shells are the only thing that acctually kills ducks...and I have found that premium ammunition is a very worthwhile investment.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:43 PM
Fork Horn

Sorry, should have been clearer. I mean't "prefered" as most commonly used, not nessecarily everyone's first choice. I will break down and buy Hevi shot for geese. I usually use Kent fasteel or reloads.It seems that for ducks hevi shot doesnt kill them any deader in my opinion.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry, should have been clearer. I mean't "prefered" as most commonly used, not nessecarily everyone's first choice. I will break down and buy Hevi shot for geese. I usually use Kent fasteel or reloads.It seems that for ducks hevi shot doesnt kill them any deader in my opinion.
One thing that I think really sets hevi apart perfornmance wise(other than density and price), is pellet count. Because you can go from shooting #2 steel to shooting #6 hevi, you have a much more dense pattern, which allows for more opportunities to hit the head and neck. Shotguns kill by target saturation, and its a random thing. We cannot control EXACTLY WHICH PELLETS GO WHERE! We can control where the sample population of pellets go....but having more chances to get a spine, neck, and head hit on a duck or goose is one big advantage. Also, reduced surface area will equal more penetration (all things being equal). But that extra weight helps even more. There again, just my experience, but hevi just flat hammers the birds I shoot at. But, I am a small pellet, head/neck shot believer. Thats why I shoot doves with #9 shot...because I have lost right many with 7.5s (doves aren't tough....but when you knock feathers out..they should fall....).

If you ever get the chance to shoot waterfowl with lead (where it is still legal), I would suggest you take the opportunity to see what a massive difference there is between birds hit with lead and birds hit with steel. It will make you a beleiver.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:54 PM
Fork Horn

WOW, forget it, im sorry for posting such aninferrior opinion...you win collie.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

WOW, forget it, im sorry for posting such aninferrior opinion...you win collie.
You tell him, some people just are not wrong.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:30 PM

t were u sa
ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

One thing that I think really sets hevi apart perfornmance wise(other than density and price), is pellet count. Because you can go from shooting #2 steel to shooting #6 hevi, you have a much more dense pattern, which allows for more opportunities to hit the head and neck. Shotguns kill by target saturation, and its a random thing. We cannot control EXACTLY WHICH PELLETS GO WHERE! We can control where the sample population of pellets go....but having more chances to get a spine, neck, and head hit on a duck or goose is one big advantage. Also, reduced surface area will equal more penetration (all things being equal). But that extra weight helps even more. There again, just my experience, but hevi just flat hammers the birds I shoot at. But, I am a small pellet, head/neck shot believer. Thats why I shoot doves with #9 shot...because I have lost right many with 7.5s (doves aren't tough....but when you knock feathers out..they should fall....).

If you ever get the chance to shoot waterfowl with lead (where it is still legal), I would suggest you take the opportunity to see what a massive difference there is between birds hit with lead and birds hit with steel. It will make you a beleiver.
You are so full of it collie

Quick Reply: Shotshell Advances

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.