Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

goose decoys

Old 03-13-2007, 09:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default goose decoys

I know that soon after reading this post alot of you will say spoiled. I live in Manitoba which is in the heart of the migratory goose pass. I do all my goose hunting in a friend's field which is just off the Oak Hammock Marsh sanctuary. I've been hunting there for over 30 years and have never used a decoy. Our daily limit is 5 and that occurs in the first couple of passes. There are days though due to the wind that I may see nothing but singles which can be worked in with a call. My cable company just got a hunting channel and I have watched a few goose hunting shows. I can't believe that amount of decoys they use. Do they really work that well and are they worth the cost? Some of these guys must use thousands of bucks worth of decoys. Don't mean to be dumb but that amount of decoys is new to me.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:12 PM
z31

Default RE: goose decoys

Yes they work welland no there not worth the cost, sounds like with your situation all you need is a dozen shells and you will have in yo face action.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:00 PM

Man i've done some youth hunts by oak hammock and yes you need hardly any dekes around there, but i also hunt everyweekend in MB and i use about 7-12 dozen and it helps. I usally get alot of land round stony mountain region and from most of the geese come from shoal lakes and oak hommock.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:09 PM

I have 11 dozen big foot decoys that I use and here in Colorado, in most cases they are very necessary. As far as cost, very few thing in this world are worth what you pay!!! But having the decoys, for me, means leaving the field with geese to clean.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:46 PM
Fork Horn

I dont think that you can say is it worth the cost, any time in the field and getting shots means it is worth the cost and as any goose/duck hunter knows it aint a cheap sport and you gotta be ready to drop some $$$
Old 03-20-2007, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

In iowa decoys are necessary. As far as the costs.. My dad got 2 dozen shell goose decoys in great condition for $20 at an auction!