Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 I was thinking about getting a goose call... >

I was thinking about getting a goose call...

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

I was thinking about getting a goose call...

Old 02-24-2007, 06:51 AM

Default I was thinking about getting a goose call...

Are they fairly easy to use? I've never hunted waterfowl before but I think it would be a fun thing to do with some of my friends.

Also, it'd be great if you could reccomend me a nice cheap goose call.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:07 PM

Default RE: I was thinking about getting a goose call...

welcome to the sport!

yes they are easy to blow, but as every thing, a challenge to master. i would get a Zink polycarb Power Clucker (PC-1), theyr like 40 dollars, you should try duck hunting too, forduck calls i would check out the Duck Commander website, all their calls are very good and under 30 dollars.

to learn to goose call i would get Scott Therin's Bad Grammerby Molt Gear. its a great instructional CD, and if you want to see a vidio, check out Fred Zink's Art of Parylizing

duck calling is easyer to learn than goose calling, any primos or lohman video will do, but i would suggest the Duck Commanders CD, Duckoligy 101 or 102, both are fantastic, Phil does a great job explaining every thing you need to know.

and i would also get a small 6 in 1 whistle, they are like 9 dollars or something and they usally come with a casset or CD to learn from.

good luck with learning how to waterfowl hunt, once your hooked your hooked for life.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:24 PM

i have a H.S. Canada Slammer. it'll cost you only about 20 bucks, and sounds just as good as any call ive ever heard. the thing i really like about it is that you can hit real high and real low notes. doesnt take long to get pretty good at it
Old 02-25-2007, 05:40 AM
Fork Horn

My son blows a $150 Foiles call. His back-up is a Haydel's H-81 that goes for about ten bucks. Both call in lots of geese. I just sold my Foiles and bought a H-81. I don't think a beginner really needs a short reed call. Jim
Old 02-25-2007, 08:54 AM

Do waterfowl seasons come back in for Spring/Summer in most areas? Here in PA they don't have the seasons in the handbook, and they are really hard to find.

Thanks for your replies.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:47 AM

in MD they put the early seaosns in the book, but put the regular seasons on the website, no, there no waterfowl seasons, except snow geese in some places, that come in the spring and summer. look under migretory birds in the book to find the seasons, youll need shells too, get size 4s and 2s, make sure thay are steel, your not alowwed to use lead, and there are some shells that are expencive, there are very good shells if you have the money i suggest buying them, but they are called hevi shot or bismuth or some are made of tungston. but steel will do fine, you will also need decoys, for geese, they are very expensive, but you can get silohets and shells for relitivly cheep, and duck decoys are cheap to buy you can Green Head Gear Hot Buys for like 35 buck a dozen
Old 02-25-2007, 09:54 AM

ORIGINAL: 2eagles

My son blows a $150 Foiles call. His back-up is a Haydel's H-81 that goes for about ten bucks. Both call in lots of geese. I just sold my Foiles and bought a H-81. I don't think a beginner really needs a short reed call. Jim
its good to have both a flute and a short reed
Old 02-25-2007, 06:06 PM

The seasons aren't in the book. I found them online and snow geese is still in for like 2 weeks but I've honestly never even seen a snow goose here.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Whatever call you get, get a good dvd to help you. practice, practice, practice...
Old 02-28-2007, 07:56 PM

well i havn't been hunting waterfowl that long either and i do some goose calling... i use short reed calls...i have had excellent luck with the primos honky tonky and also the quackhead goozilla..both not expensive calls...under $30

Quick Reply: I was thinking about getting a goose call...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.