Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Anyone use GPS?

Old 02-11-2007, 04:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default Anyone use GPS?

I am looking to buy a GPS for several reasons. To not get lost of course, mark locations of blinds, fields, where the birds are roosting, etc. I was just wondering if any of you guys used GPS and how you like them. Right now I am looking at Garmins in the $200-$300 price range because I want one with the color screen and enough memory to hold lots of maps. Any suggestions on models and features would be great, also ease of use is a main factor I am looking at. Thanks

Old 02-11-2007, 08:08 PM

Default RE: Anyone use GPS?

To add to dkhunter's post, is it worth spending the money on gps, wanted one for deer hunting up north. thanx
Old 02-13-2007, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you run a boat any distance and there is a chance of heavy fog...it can flat save your day.

Make sure it is WAAS enabled.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've used a Garmin eTrex Legend B&W model for about 5 years. I use it in areas we're not real familiar with for finding the way through back rounds scouting waterfowl in N.D. and pheasants on MN. I'm sure newer models have more memory to download maps. But I can download dozens of maps I need for any give trip. I especially use one hunting Elk out West when we may hike 4-5 miles back in off even dirt roads up and down many ridges and draws. When the Sun is starting to move lower in the sky and we're just starting to head back to the truck, I make sure the GPS is still on and we follow the "bread crumb" trail back out. I always carry extra batteries and a good compass and waterproof map in those places just as a backup. I also bought a retractable lanyard type clipon to the back of the GPS case and onto my belt loop to keep it attached better than just in my coat pocket.
I also used to mark locations that we need to find again (e.g. where we left the field dressed animals over night til we could get horse and mules in the next day to get them out). It's been worth the cost for tht GPS and map CDs for sure.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:58 AM

I currently have a Garmin Legend Cx and before that a Garmin Etrex, and I would not be without one when hunting, fishing or just driving the back country.. They are worth their weight in gold when you want to get back '"home"'. The yellow Garmin Etrex is only about $100.00 and is great, but does not have the color screen or mapping feature.. One thing about buying one.. In the Garmins, you get a base map and a inland waterways map.. If you want any other maps, they are optional and can cost anywhere from $79.00 to $249.00.. I like the Legend Cx, because the maps are available on Micro SD cards and you can change cards by just taking one out and replacing it with another..

Oh and one other thing.. Anything that runs on batteries, can go out when you least expect it.. Carry extra batteries and a good compass and too map..

Dave
Old 02-14-2007, 12:35 PM
Fork Horn

Now you say you use it when you are driving, does it also have road maps or can you buy those. Also how much was your Legend Cx.
Thanks