Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Do hawks eat ducks?

Old 12-09-2002, 07:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Do hawks eat ducks?

I don't know the proper name, but here we call them chicken hawks and yes I have seen them grab some mallard hens,guineas, and chickens. They also take a lot of snakes,rats,mice, and a lot of the quail I turn loose. I watched a couple guinea roosters fight one off one day that was trying to snack on a 4 month old guinea. I think we need to set some season dates up for them. An electronic caller brings them in within 20-30 yards (when crow hunting) in just a couple seconds. Bet you could really smack them with some hot number 8 lead.
Old 12-10-2002, 03:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jambruins,
I have hunted a lot of things with falconers, not ducks yet. I can't remember the guy's name now but he has two red tailed hawks that do a number on squirrels and rabbits. I've even been on a deer hunt with a golden eagle. It's a big scary bird that did a number on a big scary buck in a swamp. It was awsome. I think it would be hard to hunt waterfowl with a falcon just by the nature of how a falcon hunt goes. A red tailed hawk would have a hard time anyway, a perigren would be better for it.

"Hey ya'll, watch this"
Old 12-10-2002, 07:19 PM
Fork Horn

Of course hawks kill ducks. I don't what percentage waterfowl make up a hawks diet but it can't be that much. I am not hawk fan and I know quite a few people who shoot them when they get the chance. I feel it is like having a predator free to kill whatever he wants including livestock like chickens. I believe I read and article of how a guy trapped a owl because it was killing his chickens but I can't remember what he did with the owl. In my opinion, the number or chicken and sparrow hawks are rising so fast it is actually hurting the upland game population but not as much as bobcats and foxes. If you don't trap,you should. At least get rid of the ground predators. Not much a duck or any small game for that matter can do when a hawk is overhead and fox is stalking it.

Without passion.....Why bother?