Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

CREEPING UP ON MALLARDS

Old 01-29-2007, 08:01 PM

Default CREEPING UP ON MALLARDS

I got a couple ponds which, this season, was being used by about 75 mallards everyday. Its a really little pond, and the ducks are basically touching, but they like it because its mostly grass and really shallow.Anyways, you have to walk in an open area to get to the pond, anyone have any ideas on being reallyquiet and camo-ed up to catch these sitting mallards.One time,Icrouched and walked like a dog all the way to the pond, and ended up shootin 2 greenheads. 1 was banded. let me know. thanks
Old 01-29-2007, 09:08 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: CREEPING UP ON MALLARDS

During the mid-day take some brush and lay a path from where you will be coming from all the way to where you want to make the shot. It should give you the cover to army crawl or crawl to the ducks with your sihlouette blocked. The key to sneaking up on any waterfowl is slow and steady, don't get overanxious, and stay down in the brush that you placed and you should kill a bunch of them.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:15 PM
Fork Horn

try getting out there before the birds do, and sit and wait for um
Old 01-29-2007, 09:58 PM

yeah go with dkhunter... and if the cover is real low then use layout blinds so you dont get busted
Old 01-30-2007, 06:30 AM

ORIGINAL: dkhunter8383

try getting out there before the birds do, and sit and wait for um
That is what my friends and I do. Get out there before they fly in. I think that it's awesome to watch ducks fly in.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:54 PM
Fork Horn

IF you can't get there before the ducks do then try making them fly without shooting at them and they'll usually come back within a few minutes.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:20 PM

Have too pattern them.

If its a night roost they will fly out in the am and go feed somewhere and come back in the evening. Get there mid-afternoon, shoot them up quick and get out before dark. Make sure they still feel comfortable coming back too roost at night.

It may also be a day roost,, a spot where they just loaf during the day. In that case get in there just after daylight,, set a few dekes bang them up and get out! Letting some birds come back and loaf.

The big thing with shooting them in a spot like that is too not shoot at all the birds using the area and making them wise too pressure. If you get big flocks coming in wave them off with out shooting at them,, sure its tough to do,, but your hunting will be much better through out the year.(a dead bird is an un-educated bird!)

I hunt a spot that sounds similar,, this past year myself and a couple buddies were getting there at noon and hunting until 3pm(later part of season). We were catching birds coming back from feeding in the fields. We didnt shoot for the last couple hours of daylight letting birds settle back into the spot. We had great hunting there all year,, we killed birds every time, many times limits.

If you or a family member owns the property,, id seriously consider putting some barrel blinds in that spot!
Old 01-30-2007, 01:30 PM

is this the one by your cousins place ?
Old 01-30-2007, 04:03 PM
Fork Horn

Wait until a real strong wind then belly crawl thru the lowest point by the pond, I kill ducks and geese both this way. The wind has to blow real strong to muffle your sound.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:21 PM

this is one of the main ways i hunt ducks. the MOST important thing is not the sound you make, its them associating the sound you make with something out of the ordinary (99% of the time it's your face) if they see your face, no matter how camo'd up you are, its over. go slow and steady and if you peek and see one or two with their heads way up, just stop and look down, don't let them see your face. a lot of times when they get up out of a pond like that too (sounds like a day roost) they'll fly back in about 10 minutes later, so just wait it out.

Quick Reply: CREEPING UP ON MALLARDS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.