Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Would this anger you?

Old 01-23-2007, 04:23 PM

Default RE: Would this anger you?

i agree with the operation sounding ridiculous .... if i were you id just start doin ya homework now for next years hunts ... i have never used a guide service as i like to set my own dekes, do the calling, and enjoy spendin time with friends .... i have only hunted out of state a few times for waterfowl ... but many times for other game .... doesnt take too much work to line up hunts for your intended game without havin to pay guide fees .... yausin one of the besttools to get in contact with true hardcore, friendly, waterfowl go getters ..... the net ..... thats how i have done most of my work to get into out of state hunts ... the people i hunt with in Arkansas do whatever they can (within the laws) to put me on birds ..... keep an eye out for birds and keep me informed on the bird numbers, species, and conditions .... and have no reason to blow smoke since there isnt any $$$$ involved ..... i hunted in Arkansas for 5 days free of charge this Jan. .... sure we didnt do great ... but was told that we wouldnt before we even packed up to head down there .... we took our chances as far as numbers .... killed a few birds ... had a great time .... and looked at it as a vacation more so than a big numbers game ..... what im sayin is .... try to hook up with a fellow hunter rather than guide if at all possible .... ya never know ... ya may make a friend/friends in the process .... and wont cost ya near as much in the long run .... this past trip cost us gas, food, lic, and sum dekes .... and spent time with sum great people .... and since ive hunted with these people i have never been told they shot this or that and started pickin out birds for their own use .... heck they tell us to keep what ever is killed if we want em .... and even get to hunt on our own most days (which isnt always that great cuzz we enjoy the time spent with the fella in charge of the land) .... no matter .... i hope this is the last time ya have to deal with such a crappy service !!! good luck to ya and hope ya get hooked up with one of the people on this site ....seems like there would be sumbody on here that would be willing to take ya on a hunt or two !!
Old 01-23-2007, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

It was pretty nice of you to pay the bill in the first place. First off....$200 for Snow's is mighty high a price. Second, I don't care if I am paying $200 or $2,000, if I am paying to hunt...that means you aren't shooting the birds I am paying to shoot at.If a guide asks, I will almost always say sure thing, but that depends on the guide too. I have taken a fewclients on fishing trips before, and you bet your butt that even on very hot action fishing days for stripers, I, (the mate) didn't real one in unless everyone flat insisted that I do so. And I let the paying clients catch my two rockfish, and keep them. This is how it should be. I was there to rig, net, set and clear....not fish. Those guys were there to call birds, call shots, retrieve, and stay out of the way. Not to hunt and shoot all the birds....then take them home!

i heard that it should be the same way on a hunt i knwo what ya mean abut teh clients i only reel one in if they insist and then i hand the rod over most of teh time
Old 01-23-2007, 05:23 PM
Typical Buck

If I was In that situation I probably would have gave them a piece of my mind and showed them whos boss. People like that should never be hunters. It isn't alwaysabout the kill and they should have respected you as the guest and let you guys have some say in what was going on.

But, like a famouse country singer once said "Might as well share,Might as well smile, because life gos on for a little bitty While"
Old 01-23-2007, 06:53 PM
bigcountry

Canis, usually I do do my own hunts. I have a duck boat, but this is the first year where we couldn't get permits for public land. Its a lottery system. We usually get stake blinds on the bay. But they let the people who live on the bay have first rights to the water in front of their house. Long story short, we have to drive almost 4 hours to public land, and we tried it twice and got struck out. This lotto system is rediculus.

Since I moved to MD, its like a double edged sword. Great hunting, lots of birds, if you live on the water, or have permission. So I figured this year, I would buy a few hunts.

Old 01-23-2007, 08:40 PM

sorry to hear that ya have to deal with those laws/situation ..... hope ya can get in on sum great hunts next season ...... have been wantin to hunt the east coast for quite sum time now and thinkin bout headin over that way next season myself .... to go after brant, longtails, scoters, or maybe sum eiders ..... but wont know for sure til i do sum research and try to make sum contacts .... if i cant come up with sumthin im comfortable with ill head to another state .... maybe ya should keep that option open for next season also ..... good luck to ya !
Old 01-24-2007, 07:52 PM

Being a guide myself, I find this a little hard to take. You always put your clients first, especially if they are paying. Those guides need to go out hunting by themselves if they want birds to mount.