Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

duck and goose fields

Old 01-21-2007, 11:47 AM
Fork Horn

Default duck and goose fields

I am just wondering if you guys hunt in fields for duck and goose. I am starting to convert to a field hunter, but all the fields I have found do not have ducks on them, just geese. Just wondering how you guys find fields that are being used by both ducks and geese
Joey
Old 01-21-2007, 12:18 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: duck and goose fields

On a few places we hunt both. But they are about 200 yards from a marsh that I cannot hunt.

Old 01-21-2007, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

rarely do we get ducks in the same field but they usually come by low enough to shoot i dont think it would hurt to put out 4 or 5 deeks
Old 01-21-2007, 05:16 PM

I hunt a field that has a few sloughs with in a few hundred yards. We goose hunt it early season and typically there are 50 - 100 Ducks around that will try and land in the Decoys.Can't shoot them though cause it's Early Goose season
Old 01-23-2007, 11:45 AM
Fork Horn

so pretty much you cant expect to get ducks and geese in the same field, you might get lucky on some fly-bys though. Well then do you guys ever field hunt for ducks or do that exclusivly on water?
Joey
Old 01-23-2007, 12:46 PM

I see ducks and geese in the same fields alot. I dont hunt fields too often, very hard too get permission in this area and there is ALOT of good water to be hunted. I know some goose guys that pound ducks in the fields,, remote control spinners... if there are ducks in the area and they see those things in a field they are lethal!
Old 01-23-2007, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ive had ducks circle from calling with no deeks... i bet if you did put them in mixed with the geese you will get some...
Old 01-23-2007, 04:00 PM

have shot ducks and geese over both dry fields and wet fields .... most of the time goose dekes alone will do the trick for both the ducks and geese but if ya feel like ya need the duck dekes throw em on out ...... as far as findin the fields the ducks are usin .... just have to get out there and scout .... found one of the best fields i have ever hunted while comin home from a hunt .... noticed 500 or so ducks along with that many or more geese droppin into a field ... took awhile to find the owner after runnin from house to house .... lol ... but ended up being well worth the effort !!! good luck
Old 01-26-2007, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

We've started field hunting geese and ducks more in recent years. We mainly look for the geese late afternoon that are working combined wheat, corn, beans or other fields they're attracted to. We may or may not even see ducks working the same field that time of the day. Although, later season when it's colder both geese and ducks will field feed more frequently up at this latitude.

We set up in the early mornings in the same fields (after getting permission of course the evening before.) Most goose decoys, with a few duck shells or full bodies off to one side. I'm told that geese don't like to fly directly over ducks on the ground, so we set up taking that and the wind to our back.

We usually get any numbers of ducks in over the decoys very early. Sometimes just before light we've had flocks hovering over a spinning wings decoy for 30 seconds or more. Gotta wait patiently. Unless there is ground fog the ducks usually stop coming in very close for us after the virst 1 to 1.5 hours. Then we concentrate on the geese. Last year was an amazing year for Canada and Snow/Blue geese for us. Hope to have many more opportunities to come.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:40 PM

The only fields in my area where ducks will come down would probably be corn. Dont get me wrong, you can see them in beans or wheat, but we kill ducks and geese in the same field, same day all the time. Usually, ducks come to the field just after shooting hour has started and geese always come after the ducks. Same for night, geese come before and the ducks come after, almost at dark. But I mean, if your in corn and your located near a marsh or a lake where ducks roost or what not, get yourself a mojo with a remote, ducks get sucked right down. dont forget to shut the mojo off before the geese come. One time we had about 45 ducks land in our cornfield about 100 yards away, way out of shooting range. We got up about a minute and a half later and the ducks were in are spread. when they land in corn, watch out its a stampede. have fun!

Quick Reply: duck and goose fields

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.