Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

WaterFowl Loads

Old 01-13-2007, 05:00 PM
Typical Buck

Default WaterFowl Loads

This is my first year waterfowling,and I Freaking love it, I mean I'm addicted!!! I just have a problem finding the right load for my Browning Gold. I have tried a box of hevi shot and it worked better than any steel but is so darn expensive. I have heard alot of good things about Kent fast steel and was wondering what you experienced waterfowlers found to work the best. Im talking about takeing shots out to 40+ yards. Also, which choke tube is all round better for close and far shots, full or improved modified. Your help is appriciated!!!
Old 01-13-2007, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: WaterFowl Loads

Yea Kent Fast Steel is a great load. I use 3" #4 out of a full choke, alot of people say thats too tight but belive me, its a deadly combo. It destroys ducks and will bring down geese if you aim to break wings like I do. I have also tried Remington High Speed Sportmans Steel and that works just fine aswell and at a cheaper price.

Now thinking thats its your first year I would try a more open choke like modified for awhile until you start to get the hang of shooting them. Try fast flying teal in the morning for some pratice.

Good Luck
Old 01-13-2007, 08:03 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the reply, I think I will give the Kent and Full Choke combination a try. Good Luck on the on coming hunting seasons, Put'm to the ground!!

Old 01-13-2007, 09:21 PM

Dont use any choke tighter than modified. Ive seen a couple pictures of what can happen with a full choke and steel,, not pretty. It CANrip the end of the barrel right off!

I use Fasteel 3" #2's at 1560 fps with a modified, keep all my shots under 35 yardsand very rarelyare follow-up shots required on ducks.

If you want too shoot 40+ yards,, stick with the hevi-shot,, price will be about the same per bird because you are going too expend alot of shells on cripples!
Old 01-14-2007, 07:07 AM
Fork Horn

If you want to use full choke with steel then it is probably best to get a choke that is steel shot approved. I've been using a cabela's full hevi shot choke that is also rated for steel since 2003 with no problems thus far. I have used 4s in it but I like kent fasteel 2s the best(gonna try 3s when I find some to buy). However I don't like anything bigger than 2s with a full.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Roadkillwarrior

This is my first year waterfowling,and I Freaking love it, I mean I'm addicted!!! I just have a problem finding the right load for my Browning Gold. I have tried a box of hevi shot and it worked better than any steel but is so darn expensive. I have heard alot of good things about Kent fast steel and was wondering what you experienced waterfowlers found to work the best. Im talking about takeing shots out to 40+ yards. Also, which choke tube is all round better for close and far shots, full or improved modified. Your help is appriciated!!!

Roadkill:

Don't write off hevi shot (or heck maybe you should..write it off your taxes that is)...just because its expensive.

Give this a try.

Load one hevi shot shell as your first shot, and then back it up with two steel loads. The first shot is the most important one anyway. Also, your hevi will last longer and you won't ever be shooting a cripple with a $2 shell. Not that you will likely have many cripples with hevi shot.

As for a quality steel load, I like Winchester Supreme's. They load in a little higher quality shell, with a higher quality steel. Makes a big difference that is well worth the little bit higher price. One other thing to consider is Hevi-Steel, which I have been shooting as my second and third shell this season. Only a few dollars more than most steel, and certainly more effective. I like #3 shot in Win Supremes or #4 for Hevi-Steel.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:11 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks guys, you have gave me a better idea of what to use and try. Can't wait till next year to do it all over again being more prepared, since the only thing in season here in Indiana is geese.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:35 PM
Typical Buck

What about 2 3/4" shells? is there enough umffbehind a hevi shot 2 3/4" to put a duck down around 40yrds. I know they make a 2 3/4" shell in Hevi-Shot and was wondering if anyone out there has tried them with some pretty good success.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:42 PM

With hevishot you could use a 2 3/4" shell. Not much use in using a 2 3/4 steel though. Also, DO NOT usea full choke with steel. My friends Browning Goldlost the end his barrel shooting an Improve Modified (slightly tighter than a modified and not as tight as a full). Bad things can happen happen when you shoot steel thru anything tighting than modified. Winchester xpert #2's and 3's in 3" or 3 1/2's are good affordable loads. I, as well of a bunch of my friends have had problems with Kent steel. If they get wet the will swell and become stuck in the chamber or they will fire and the pellets will fall out the end of the barrel because the powder is wet.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

ORIGINAL: Roadkillwarrior

Roadkill:

Don't write off hevi shot (or heck maybe you should..write it off your taxes that is)...just because its expensive.

Give this a try.

Load one hevi shot shell as your first shot, and then back it up with two steel loads. The first shot is the most important one anyway. Also, your hevi will last longer and you won't ever be shooting a cripple with a $2 shell. Not that you will likely have many cripples with hevi shot.

As for a quality steel load, I like Winchester Supreme's. They load in a little higher quality shell, with a higher quality steel. Makes a big difference that is well worth the little bit higher price. One other thing to consider is Hevi-Steel, which I have been shooting as my second and third shell this season. Only a few dollars more than most steel, and certainly more effective. I like #3 shot in Win Supremes or #4 for Hevi-Steel.
I do the same thing, load 2 Hevi's and then a steel shot.

Quick Reply: WaterFowl Loads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.