Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Help with choke selection

Old 12-24-2006, 01:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default Help with choke selection

About 12 years ago when I got into duck hunting I didn't have a shotgun with screw in chokes, and I didn't want to shoot steel through a full choke so I had the barrel threaded on my 12 ga. 870. With the imp. cyl. it shoots steel like a full choke, I've easily finished off ducks that hit the water at 50 yards. Now here's the question, is there a difference with these newer guns? My girl is getting a youth model 870 20 ga. for christmas, I have the full, mod. and imp. cyl. chokes for it. She wants to go duck hunting, wich choke should I use in it to shoot steel shot?
Old 12-24-2006, 02:00 PM

Default RE: Help with choke selection

modified or improved.. Id put the modified in.

Definitely not full choke,, although your going too get 2-3 guys tell you too use full choke on here.
Old 12-24-2006, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

imp thats what I shoot
Old 12-25-2006, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Diff guns like differnt things.Some shotguns will shoota Modified like an Xtra full and an IC like a skeet tube. Lots of effect for only a few thousanths difference. You are going to have pattern the gun with both and see what gives you the nicest, most even pattern at the approximate distance you will be shooting. But, it will be either IC or Mod. Don't fool with full, even you can shoot steel through it (most full chokes from the factory, you can't or shouldn't), you'd likely just be wasting time with the full. IC or Mod, the patterning board will tell you.

Good luck.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:22 AM

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

Diff guns like differnt things.Some shotguns will shoota Modified like an Xtra full and an IC like a skeet tube. Lots of effect for only a few thousanths difference. You are going to have pattern the gun with both and see what gives you the nicest, most even pattern at the approximate distance you will be shooting. But, it will be either IC or Mod. Don't fool with full, even you can shoot steel through it (most full chokes from the factory, you can't or shouldn't), you'd likely just be wasting time with the full. IC or Mod, the patterning board will tell you.

Good luck.
I'm with SwampCollie. Good Advice!!!!!!
Old 12-27-2006, 12:24 PM
Fork Horn

I have been using a Patternmaster choke this year with good success. I am shooting a M2 Benelli. Good luck.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:45 PM

im with crabbie, i have an old 870 12 ga. and have shot a patternmaster on the lakes and a mod. on the river bottom. those are the 2 chokes i live and die by. but to each his own.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:21 PM
Fork Horn

i useMod..Kents number 4 for ducks and Kents BBB for Geese...and it reaches out when needed....Honkers...
Old 01-02-2007, 08:42 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: SwampTHING
Definitely not full choke,, although your going too get 2-3 guys tell you too use full choke on here.
Why would anybody do that? He said he didn't want to use full choke

Being that your full probably isn't steel rated anyhow, I recommend mod. out of the three listed.