Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 How to cook breasted geese?? >

How to cook breasted geese??

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

How to cook breasted geese??

Old 12-22-2006, 11:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default How to cook breasted geese??

I have 6 breasts in the freezer now. One guy recommends putting them in a crockpot with beef bullion cubes, potatoes and carrots and slow cooking them like I do now with venizon roast. He says it tastes like roast beef.

I always thought you had to marinate them to get the best tasting dish. Any suggestions or support for doing it the way described abovewould be greatly appreciated!
Old 12-22-2006, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How to cook breasted geese??

I cooked some two weeks ago that turned out the best I have ever had.

Here is what I did.

I marinated mine in Moore's marinade (food lion, wal-mart) and brown sugar for 5 days. I didn't mean to let them sit THAT long, but I got busy. Left them in the fridge of course. Most importantly, when I cleaned the birds, I always ALWAYS leave the skin ON, and then filet the breast away. Helps retain moisture. The #1 problem with cooking goose is drying it out. I digress. I took my filets and threw them on a HOT grill at 10min on skin side and 7 min on meat side. Then, I took them off, wrapped them both in aluminum foil together, and put them back on the grill (hot) covered for 13 minutes. Seemed to be the magic number. Nice and juicy, just a touch of pink. Was absolutely the best I have ever had.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks!
I might have to try that, though I didn't leave skin on. I would just have to keep an eye on them to be sure they don't overcook/dry out. I'd rather do something like that on the grill than do the crockpot thing to trya cooking method completely different. I already cook venison in the crockpot with the boullion cubes, taters and carrots.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you want to do them on the grill try this........quick and easy

use 3 breasts
thinly slice against the grain
thread on bamboo skewers(soak skewers in water for half hour first)
BBQ for about 5 to 7 minutes, turning constantly
brush your favourite sauce on last 2 minutes
DO NOT over cook, you want them just pink.

Ron
Old 12-22-2006, 03:40 PM

thinly slice against the grain
thread on bamboo skewers(soak skewers in water for half hour first)
BBQ for about 5 to 7 minutes, turning constantly
brush your favourite sauce on last 2 minutes
DO NOT over cook, you want them just pink.
'bout the same thing I do, but wrapped in bacon.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know its not what you were looking for, but the last time I made jerky I tried a goose breast with the venison, it was fantastic, Cananda goose breast made the best jerky ever.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:47 PM
Typical Buck

What ever way you decide to prepare there are two rules to be followed :
#1 is hot and quick, where meat is seared over a hot heat source, waterfowl should be not be cooked much beyond med rare. , assorted marinades can help tenderize and allow cooking a bit longer
#2 long and slow as in abraise ,stew or crockpot.

Keep these basic rules of cooking of all red/dark meat in mind. Of course chicken and pork is another matter. Remember the ole' chef's saying , if it's done in the pan it's bad on the plate.Food keeps cooking after being removed from the heat. Take this into account when cooking and allow meat to sit before serving so juices don't run out.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: tschaef

I know its not what you were looking for, but the last time I made jerky I tried a goose breast with the venison, it was fantastic, Cananda goose breast made the best jerky ever.
I'll say amen to that. We started that little trick about 5 years ago. We put some out at a potluck christmas party at the hunt club and no one would believe us when they asked us what it was! It makes fantastic jerky!
Old 12-23-2006, 09:02 AM

All my geese go to jerky or pepperettes.
Old 12-24-2006, 04:45 AM
Fork Horn

Hey Doug, the guy who suggested the beef bullion/ crock pot is right on with technique, however, that will only work on geese killed on CROOM!!!???. I'll bet that guy is a heck of a goose caller too!!! BTW, we went out on Sat, but some mook had his truck parked in the field while he black powder hunted. Tons of birds, but they wouldn't commit because of the truck. May try next Fri.

Quick Reply: How to cook breasted geese??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.