Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Watermen Beware!!!!

Old 12-21-2006, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Watermen Beware!!!!

If you never thought it could happen to you (as I did), Be careful in cold water and pack a spare set of pants/ socks...
My morning went well out here on El Dorado Lake in Kansas... Got to the blind early and set out goose and duck decoys and set in for a morning by my self as my buddies are on vacation. Shot a goose and three mallards before some boys showed up on the point across from me and started shooting at everything that moved. Called it a day and put my waders on, head out into the water... Picked up my first decoy and took a step to the right and dropped 4 feet!!!! Waders filled with water a sucked onto my legs and down I went. Waders hit the bottom and settled into the mud and there I sat. Chin deep in water I grabbed my straps and tried to swim out, no joy,,,, feet stuck.... Being from upstate NY I've fallen through the ice fishing before so I've been cold.... I balled my toes and pushed down and water rushed in giving me a chance to get the hell out... Got my feet out and grabbed my waders and pulled and they came free.... Got back to the blind and noticed I still had all my damn decoys out so I had to emrty my waders and go back in.... Grabbed em up... threw out my socks... put on my felt packs... threw all my crap in the bags and walked back to the truck to find out I had a flat tire and my spare was already on the back end.
So, after getting some fix a flat and taking a nap, I had to go to the doctor to get the foot looked at(torn ligaments fighting with waders, now wear a nite brace and take drugs)
So.... Maybe in sharing my ignorance with you.... maybe you wont do it yourself... get your crap together and take spare clothes and stuff with ya.... Just in case...
Old 12-21-2006, 06:51 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Watermen Beware!!!!

Always feel for that next step if you are unfamiliar with the bottom. Glad to hear you made it. Some don't.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:21 AM

Thanks for sharing.Happy to hear youare OK.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:26 AM

I'm always scared of that same thing happening to me. Thanks for the story. Too many people act like they don't mess up. Glad you made it out.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I made it... feel like a jackass but made it....
Old 12-21-2006, 10:01 PM
Typical Buck

That is a creepy thought everytime we are out hunting. We haven't had dogs in the past so we do all the retrieving ourselves..I am always checking my next step but you never know. That had to be a bad feeling when you started going down.
I know I was walking in a river once when we were swimming and all of a sudden my leg sank down up to the goods. I tried to walk around and find the hole again (the water was only ankle deep to start with) because my friend didn't believe me. That was a weird experience