HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Waterfowl Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting-7/)
-   -   steel shot sucks (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting/159761-steel-shot-sucks.html)

zepchuk 10-15-2006 10:12 AM

steel shot sucks

Steel shot does not work on geese very well. Unfortunately we are going to have to spend a little more on shells next year. We are going to be upgrading to Bismuth or something to that effect. We are hitting geese good but they just aren't falling. Even Sandhill cranes aren't falling very easy, without a 3.5" shell-it gets very annoying watching birds get hit watch them fly forever without knowing if they fall after you lose sight of them or not. By they way a buddy and I are using 3" and his dad is using a 3.5" and he is dropping more birds than us with steel.

deer-hunter18 10-15-2006 11:52 AM

RE: steel shot sucks

ORIGINAL: zepchuk

Steel shot does not work on geese very well. Unfortunately we are going to have to spend a little more on shells next year. We are going to be upgrading to Bismuth or something to that effect. We are hitting geese good but they just aren't falling. Even Sandhill cranes aren't falling very easy, without a 3.5" shell-it gets very annoying watching birds get hit watch them fly forever without knowing if they fall after you lose sight of them or not. By they way a buddy and I are using 3" and his dad is using a 3.5" and he is dropping more birds than us with steel.

Why does this suprise you? I have no problem with steel, what choke are you using? I am shooting a Benelli SBE2, with a IMP CYL choke and all i shoot at geese are 3 1/2" 2 shot steel! There are a few times that you need a follow up shot, but you shouldn't have any problem bringing them down if you hit them right! Shoot them in the face, good luck.

rbduck 10-15-2006 12:25 PM

If you look at the Contest Pics forum and check out my pics, all those geese have been shot with 3" #3steel.A few different styleshotguns with mod. chokesbut we all use the same shells, either overdekes orpass shooting. Steel seems to be working for us.
Like deer-hunter18 says......Shoot em in the face!

Ron:D

Carpmaster 10-15-2006 02:35 PM

It isn't so much the shell but where you put the shot and what kind of ranges you are putting it there....I have killed many birds with steel and on the other hand I have also wounded some with Super Premium which is sposed to be better than lead!!!! Bring 'em in and shoot 'em in the beak!

mustad 10-15-2006 04:43 PM

I had the same problem as you last year. I think you could even find a post I started about looking into some of these newer metals. I ended up spending more time on the range this summer and so far this year, I have yet to lose a bird. All of my shots have brought the birds down.

Good luck.

fantail 10-15-2006 08:42 PM

Have you tried full choke?

Blindbound86 10-15-2006 11:57 PM

While im the first to admit that shot placement and range are of key importance, i use tungsten or bismuth and defenitely see moer effectivness, while im sure like many of you i am a hunter on a budget loads i buy are a place where i will splurge a little bit.

2footroper 10-16-2006 11:22 AM

I shoot a browning 10ga BPS with a mod. choke at Geese up here in northern IL. and I use Remington Nitro Steel Magnum BBB. I can still cripple them just as good as the next guy if I hit them too far back. Increase your lead and watch your kill rate go way up. I spent alot of $$$ on those High dollar hevi-shot loads and never increased my kill rate. Shot-em in the face and get a dead goose.
I also shoot a 12ga BPS for ducks and have great luck with Kent Fasteel in the #3 size.
good luck guys & gals

moosehunter21 10-16-2006 01:15 PM

As said before SHOOT EM IN THE FACE!

fsulaxer18 10-16-2006 03:03 PM

Steel shot ain't the greatest but I am bringing them down with a 2 3/4 bb consistantly. You just gotta work that much harder to make the perfect shot and get them in close. We have guys shooting 3 1/2 in bismoth and they are shooting birds at close to 50 yards- thats fine but at that range you pattern is so big and there is more of a chance for birds to leave your spread. I shoot an Ithica model 51 featherlight and can only use 2 3/4 shells its gota fixed modified barrel and I can get birds to fall consistantly- Just work to get the birds close and make better decisions when it comes to shot placement