Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

steel shot sucks

Old 10-15-2006, 10:12 AM
Spike

Default steel shot sucks

Steel shot does not work on geese very well. Unfortunately we are going to have to spend a little more on shells next year. We are going to be upgrading to Bismuth or something to that effect. We are hitting geese good but they just aren't falling. Even Sandhill cranes aren't falling very easy, without a 3.5" shell-it gets very annoying watching birds get hit watch them fly forever without knowing if they fall after you lose sight of them or not. By they way a buddy and I are using 3" and his dad is using a 3.5" and he is dropping more birds than us with steel.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:52 AM

Default RE: steel shot sucks

ORIGINAL: zepchuk

Steel shot does not work on geese very well. Unfortunately we are going to have to spend a little more on shells next year. We are going to be upgrading to Bismuth or something to that effect. We are hitting geese good but they just aren't falling. Even Sandhill cranes aren't falling very easy, without a 3.5" shell-it gets very annoying watching birds get hit watch them fly forever without knowing if they fall after you lose sight of them or not. By they way a buddy and I are using 3" and his dad is using a 3.5" and he is dropping more birds than us with steel.
Why does this suprise you? I have no problem with steel, what choke are you using? I am shooting a Benelli SBE2, with a IMP CYL choke and all i shoot at geese are 3 1/2" 2 shot steel! There are a few times that you need a follow up shot, but you shouldn't have any problem bringing them down if you hit them right! Shoot them in the face, good luck.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you look at the Contest Pics forum and check out my pics, all those geese have been shot with 3" #3steel.A few different styleshotguns with mod. chokesbut we all use the same shells, either overdekes orpass shooting. Steel seems to be working for us.
Like deer-hunter18 says......Shoot em in the face!

Ron
Old 10-15-2006, 02:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

It isn't so much the shell but where you put the shot and what kind of ranges you are putting it there....I have killed many birds with steel and on the other hand I have also wounded some with Super Premium which is sposed to be better than lead!!!! Bring 'em in and shoot 'em in the beak!
Old 10-15-2006, 04:43 PM
Typical Buck

I had the same problem as you last year. I think you could even find a post I started about looking into some of these newer metals. I ended up spending more time on the range this summer and so far this year, I have yet to lose a bird. All of my shots have brought the birds down.

Good luck.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:42 PM
Fork Horn

Have you tried full choke?
Old 10-15-2006, 11:57 PM

While im the first to admit that shot placement and range are of key importance, i use tungsten or bismuth and defenitely see moer effectivness, while im sure like many of you i am a hunter on a budget loads i buy are a place where i will splurge a little bit.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:22 AM
Fork Horn

I shoot a browning 10ga BPS with a mod. choke at Geese up here in northern IL. and I use Remington Nitro Steel Magnum BBB. I can still cripple them just as good as the next guy if I hit them too far back. Increase your lead and watch your kill rate go way up. I spent alot of $$$ on those High dollar hevi-shot loads and never increased my kill rate. Shot-em in the face and get a dead goose.
I also shoot a 12ga BPS for ducks and have great luck with Kent Fasteel in the #3 size.
good luck guys & gals
Old 10-16-2006, 01:15 PM

As said before SHOOT EM IN THE FACE!
Old 10-16-2006, 03:03 PM

Steel shot ain't the greatest but I am bringing them down with a 2 3/4 bb consistantly. You just gotta work that much harder to make the perfect shot and get them in close. We have guys shooting 3 1/2 in bismoth and they are shooting birds at close to 50 yards- thats fine but at that range you pattern is so big and there is more of a chance for birds to leave your spread. I shoot an Ithica model 51 featherlight and can only use 2 3/4 shells its gota fixed modified barrel and I can get birds to fall consistantly- Just work to get the birds close and make better decisions when it comes to shot placement

Quick Reply: steel shot sucks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.