Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

full choke and steel shot

Old 10-09-2006, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: full choke and steel shot

Like SwampTHING said , your a little slow on the experiment... I had contacted Beretta and asked them about shooting steel with my shotgun and they had suggested not to, so I didn’t want to take the chance and got my full choke resized and also had the forcing cone lengthen. MinnFinn had a good way of explaining it. Metal will only flex so much...
Old 10-09-2006, 06:42 AM

I use a modified choke in my 835 with BB's and have enjoyed some success. My shooting is the problem but I sure have fun. Haven't lost more than a very few cripples and have knocked down snows at 45 yards. Sorry to say, steel BB's do kill past 35 yards!
Old 10-09-2006, 11:51 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: coloradoprohunter

heres somethin that will make u think. i took an empty wad, filled it with a regular amount of shotshell BB and pushed it through the barrel filled up. and at the full choke, a few of the BBs were pushed forward (in front of the wad) and fit fine. so this should happen with a wad shot throguh the choke. shouldnt it?
You might be on to something because swanpthing said the shot comes out of a shotgun in up to 120 inch shot string so it sounds to me like there is some shot in front of the wad when it is shot. Also you fellas might be onto something about the barrel flexing because a rifle barrel flexes everytime it is shot and that is why a heavy barrel is more accurate. Not as much flex. Never thought about it on a shotgun.

Thanks for the reply greenhead911, I knew there was some other people who have had success shooting full with steel. It's obviously not for every body though.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: fantail

it sounds to me like there is some shot in front of the wad when it is shot.
Don’t forget the shot is pushed back into the wad and compressed because of high speeds...
Old 10-09-2006, 07:43 PM

no but get this
the reciever flexesA LOT MORE VIOLENTLY than the barrel and is made out of hte same thing. and the steel cant smash itself back into the other bbs. and also wat swampthing said supports this because just the shock that that the loose steel gets in front should make it go ahead of the bbs in the wad. also the wad with steel isnt packed airtight so it should move around as far as i kno. but mossberg said i shouldnt try it with fixed chokes but then the chokes that they have for lead can also have steel in them except for XXFull.not sure wat to do....
Old 10-09-2006, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: coloradoprohunter

the reciever flexes A LOT MORE VIOLENTLY than the barrel and is made out of hte same thing.
Yes but the chamber is made of thicker material compared to the barrel, so it can handle it. Just guessing but maybe up to twice the thickness of the barrel on a single shot that I’ve used in the past. Just an example...
Old 10-12-2006, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can't say about your specific shotgun models. I know that etched on the outside of the choke tube more restricted than modified (*** stars) it says "no steel) on my Benellis.

I find with heavy high speed shot of numerous non-toxic shot I can take down Canada Giants with BBs and modified choke out to 40 yards crossing shots. I don't personally see the need for more restricted choke. imo
Old 10-12-2006, 08:16 PM
Fork Horn

My benelli chokes say the same thing that is why I use an aftermarket choke that is rated for steel. But in my wife's beretta I use the factory full.

Fellas, shooting steel in a full choke is like strawberry pudding, once you try it you'll never go back to banana pudding Now don't get me wrong, banana pudding is good but strawberry pudding is plum GUD!

I'll tell you what, I think if you boys would try 4 or 5 shells with a full in a hunting situation I think you'll like the results! No pressure Well maybe just a little
Old 10-12-2006, 08:25 PM
Fork Horn

Forgot to mention, I mainly use #2 and #4 with a full but nothing bigger than #1. Anything bigger than #1 doesn't do good with a full. Gotta try me some of those #3s though.
Old 10-13-2006, 02:39 PM

it doesnt say no steel so i guess i should be fine. mossberg said the same thing. but there is some wear on the choke endof the barell.... hmmm.?

Quick Reply: full choke and steel shot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.