Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

new at waterfowl hunting

Old 08-27-2006, 04:27 PM

Default new at waterfowl hunting

this is my first year that i will be waterfowling and i need some heads ups because i don't know barely a thing about it. also wat ammo should i use and who sells chokes for a rossi? thanx
Old 08-28-2006, 06:43 PM

Default RE: new at waterfowl hunting

i can only tell you about how i started outso, use what advice you want andput the rest in storage.
ALWAYS!!!! wear a PFD when yer' in the boat! i never wear mine when i'm fishin', but when i duck hunt, i got wadders on, which will fill up w/ H2O and cause ya' to sink real quick!
i got me a row boat, an' some paint, an' dun up a real nice camo job on 'er in the g'rage. got a helluva buzz too.
got some burlap,the kind rich folks put around they'er bushes so they don't git cold in the winter, makes real nice blind material fer th' boat.
i did sort of a tie dye paint job on the burlap. after i got done puttin' out the decoys, i'd park the boat, an' cover 'er up w/ the burlap. i never hunt out of the boat, it just gits me to where i wanna be huntin'.
i git me a 5 Gal. bucket an' drill some holes in the bottom, so's it sinks, an' have a seat. at this point, while still dark, i'm tryin' to remember how many decoys i put out.
git one of them head mouted led lights. be'in able to see helps.
the guy who dies with the most decoys don't alway win, sometimes sixor ten will do it. i got the "hot buy" decoys from cabela's made by greenhead, they look great, cheap too, 30.00 fer 12
good enough fer now,stay on this site, yer' able to learn more from folks alot smarter than me.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:43 AM
Typical Buck

Try a dozen or two decoys. Make sure you have some good waders and camo. Get some calls and don't forget to pratice. Throw in some good buddies and that's about it. For the choke, try Briley (spelling???) they make tubes for just about anything.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:38 PM

thanx, that's a big help
Old 08-29-2006, 04:25 PM

here's more on how i got started.oppinions vary on jest 'bout everything!
neoprene waders are warmer, more comfy, more money.....but stocking foot waders ain't gonna break the bank, just wear an old pair of hunting boots with them, 2 sizesto big.git them goofy lookin' lace up rubber boots at wal-mart. (the cheap one's with yellow laces).one real slick thing 'bout sockfoot waders is, if yer walking in muck, ya'ain't gonna step out of yer boots as much. i don't think ya' need to git camo waders, if it will save you some $. camo is important, ducks are birds, birds see real good, otherwise they'd crash into things alot, but brown waders will do, unless ya' think ya' need 'em.

lern how to call. i ain't figgerd out why some calls cost 200.00+
i paid 20. bucks fer mine, wood, double reed. ducks seem to dig my melodious quacks. git advd on calling. read books. magazines are fun to read, butbooks seem to offer more to newbies.
OK fill me in, do ya got a dog?, canoe, boat, gonna hunt puddlers or divers?
do ya got a buddy to hunt with? (dogs count as buddys). if not, git one, two people can learn more 'bout the same thing faster than jest one, assumin' y'all tend to agree most of the times.
be safe! wear yer PFD, oh- didgital camera,we wanna see pics! good luck!
Old 08-29-2006, 06:22 PM
Typical Buck

coloradoprohunter,
Hit me up, I'll be happy to help in any I can. Not sure about spots here, but gear, I got...

Old 08-31-2006, 05:19 PM

alright