Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 Rem 870 Super Magnum or Benelli Nova >

Rem 870 Super Magnum or Benelli Nova

Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Rem 870 Super Magnum or Benelli Nova

Old 07-05-2006, 04:07 PM

Default Rem 870 Super Magnum or Benelli Nova

Hey Ya'll

I am going to buy a new shotgun and don't have enough for a 3.5 in autoloader, so i am thinking of buying the benelli because i already have a rem 870 magnum in 20 ga.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rem 870 Super Magnum or Benelli Nova

thats a tough choice, I love my 870 wingmaster, but the nova is a very very good gun. I would acutally go for the supernova because it has the comfortech system so it will reduce the recoil of the those 3.5 mags which I am assuming you will be shooting. That would probably be the only reason I would get the super nova. Or you could save up your money and get a SBEII, (which I might get at the end of the summer) I have seen used ones at cabelas for 1100. But either way you cant go wrong with a benelli.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:38 PM
Fork Horn

Go with the nova and get the recoil reducer and you will not be disappointed...great gun!!heavy tho so if you go tthe carry it alot then it might be an inconvienence
Old 07-12-2006, 05:14 PM

I own a nova pump and like it a lot. In my opinion the Benelli and he remmington are very similar. Use and abuse them, they will both take whatever you can dish out.

The biggest difference is that there are a million 870s out there. If you wanted to buy a slug barrel for the 870 it wouldn't take you that long to find one. Heck it would proabably have the scope rings on it. The Nova is another story. I priced a new rifled barrel for the nova, almost as much as a whole new slug gun.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:29 AM

I agree with JS3. I have a Benelli Nova and it pounded me more than I could stand until I put a Benelli recoil reducer in it. That really did help a lot. I have always had a Wingmaster in my collection since 1952. I guess that kind of ages me huh? The Wingmaster is a very easy gun to tear apart if you need to clean one up after dropping it in a slough with a foot of soft mud. The Benelli Nova has a lot of synthetic parts so that is also a plus for not rusting etc. It is your money and your choice. I guess I lean a little more to the old tried and proven American made 870Wingmaster.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:57 PM
Fork Horn

If your just using it for duck or goose then I go with nova have had great sucsess
Old 07-14-2006, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I thyink it is a Russian made gun but look at the Bailkal MP153..shoots 3.5" and is under $400. Buddy has one at it cycles all loads and shoots and feels great. I have shot and it is a very nice gun for the price!!
Old 07-25-2006, 03:42 PM
Typical Buck

Get the Nova, I have one, it is a great gun. It can be field stripped without any tools and is very rust resistant. I have never had a problem with mine. Last year I upgradded to an SBE II with comfortech. I would not give this gun up for anything.
Old 08-05-2006, 01:42 PM

NOVA!!! the 870 is a sweet gun, but you just can't deny the italians when it comes to fine shotguns.... they are the best at what they do!
Old 08-06-2006, 11:26 AM

I've shot a Benelli for 3 yrs, and it's a great gun. I've never shot the 870, so I can't say which one is superb. But I really like the Benelli. It's tough, easy to clean, and like Gundigest said- it can be stripped in the field if needed (not that any problems ever happen with it!). Good luck with either of your choices.

Quick Reply: Rem 870 Super Magnum or Benelli Nova

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.