HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Waterfowl Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting-7/)
-   -   Benelli or Rem. 11-87 (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting/144894-benelli-rem-11-87-a.html)

Rebel Hog 07-07-2006 12:57 PM

RE: Benelli or Rem. 11-87

Watch Patrick Flanigan break the world record with a Super X2 shotgun here.
Learn more about Patrick here.

waltwittman 07-28-2006 12:50 PM

i hate to say this to all you remington lovers out there, but there is really no comparison between the SBE and a 1100. Those italian's have got there $*#% figured out... also, the SBE will outlast the 1100 bye many years!
if you want to compare guns at least go w/ the best made american shotgun; the browning gold, although it is still a far cry from the SBE.

MinnFinn 07-28-2006 05:03 PM

Higg said, "I have and 870 and two 11-87's, one 12ga and one 20ga, and all have been flawless. "

I'm glad you've not had problems with you Remmingtons. That's not my experience with them when putting them in less than ideal conditions after running a number of rounds through them between cleaning (e.g. long hunt to N.D. when we havelittle opportunity to break shotguns down completely for a thorough cleaning).

If you're running a box or 2 through not and then and clean well between, maybe they will perform. However, by the natural of a gas operated firearm the action will get dirty sooner to affect operation more than with an action like the Benelli inertia system. Put cold weather and even some snow and ice into the mix and I'd be surprised if your gas operated shotgun functions as well after several days of consistent use.

I know that with a gas operated Remington I've owned in the past, cold weather and a little moisture and it ofter turned into a single shot quickly. That was a highpowered rifle. But the priciple is the same.

My buddies Rem 1100's have very often left him with 1 or 2 shots only before he'd get a misfeed and he'd clean the things every night, with very little lubrication that tend to gum it up.

Use what works. For me that's Benelli.

Carpmaster 07-31-2006 08:14 AM

I will never spend the money on a gas operated auto for hunting again! I would definitely get the SBE II, actually plan on it with 2006 tax return!!

dogknott 08-02-2006 03:07 PM

Benelli all the way, when it's show time rain-sleet-snow birds pile'n in , the Benelli will still perform. seen way too many problems with the Rems., and i own Remington, but use them for clay only and the 11-87 SM hadles like a hedge post to me.

wpmcdaniel 08-18-2006 01:48 PM

Benelli is an enertia gun and 11-87 is a gas gun. Both are great guns, though I also have heard of many people having problems with springs, etc. in the 11-87. Overall if you are willing to spend the money you would be happy with the sbeII. On another note, I shoot the beretta extrema II and absolutely love it. Shot many different types of shells out of it and never had a problem hanging up. It will run you about the same as a sbeII, actually maybe even a hundred bucks or so less.

Crashman 08-20-2006 08:06 PM

I am suffering from the same dilema right now too. I currently own an 870 express, but it needs a new barrel. SO, do i buy a new barrel, or splurge and by either the SBE II, Beretta Xtrema 3.5, Gold 3.5, or 11-87 Super Mag???

I think I will get the barrel for now, and save for the Beretta for next year. Best comprimise I can come with.

80 proof 08-21-2006 04:19 PM

I am pretty hard on on guns(which means i dont clean it like i should) I shoot a 1187 and dont have that many problems if i clean it every 5-10 hunts. But it does seem to do better than the SBE in real cold weather where the sbe seems to cycle a little slow. There is no doubt that the sbe is definetely a cleaner shooting gun. But I have seen both guns kill alot of ducks at all times of the year. Shoot the one that is most comfortable to you.

MinnFinn 08-24-2006 09:11 PM

Another option (of many) is to look at Benelli's newer version of the M1 Super 90 call the M2. It's the same inertia action. I've got the M1 Super 90 and it's very reliable. The primary functional difference is that its a 3" chamber shotgun vs. 3 1/2" SBE. It's also about $350 less than the SBE. It's not inexpensive. But I think it's a good investment you can use for many years.