Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

grandpa's decoys

Old 05-27-2006, 05:52 PM

Default grandpa's decoys

My grandfather (best hunting buddy also) passed away 5 years ago but about 7 years ago we made a trade. For two ducks(both mallard drakes) he gave me his decoys which are about 20 mallards. The problem is the paint is coming off and i would like to restore them. I know it probably would be cheaper and easier to buy new ones but being my grandfathers it would mean alot to me if i could someday hunt over his decoys. Any help would be great.

Old 05-27-2006, 10:16 PM
Spike

Default RE: grandpa's decoys

Hey Scott78,
I was given my Grandfathers decoys also. I can tell that to sit on a marsh and over look 30 bobbing wooden decs is a special feeling. I'd say that its a must to repair and use your GF decoys. For painting I'd use a Mallard painting Kit. Many place sell them. Its a nice way to start, all the colors you need are include. Try the internet, do a search under Decoy painting kits, that should bring up venders that sell them. Good luck, you will not be sorry.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:45 AM

Those are the keeper decoys for sure... What a great tradition to carry forward... I also like when guys use a vintage shotgun or rifle because it was in thier family....
Old 06-07-2006, 07:12 PM

cabelas sells a decoy paint kit for all different species. i make wooden decoys and use their paint kits to paint mine. very reasonable and easy. last mallard kit i bought was around $25.