Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Goose shell blind

Old 02-21-2006, 01:44 PM

Default Goose shell blind

Well I'll try this again. Hello I'm new here and wanted to seek some advice. I'm an avid goose hunter, have been all my life and I am 58 years young.
I use a Final Approach blind and it works OK in some conditions. I can hide my dog and myself and when the geese are willing things work out great. Now understand that conditions have to be right for the blind to not flare smarter birds and you really have to have the right cover to blend into and not project shawdows and stick out to much.

My question to you all is, have any of you ever used or know of anyone who has used the giant goose shell blinds. Now I know they look a little rediculous, but from what I have heard from some that have knowledge say they work OK.

I like the priciple of not needing to hide the blind or blend in because you are totaly conseald and the birds just come on in. I have been told that the birds equate size with distence, meaning the bigger the bird appears the closure they believe they are and actualy start their glide path early. You can lay down inside them, your dog can be in there with you and your out of the wind and inclement weather.

So what can anyone tell me. Sorry about the spelling can't spell check
Old 02-22-2006, 12:09 PM

Default RE: Goose shell blind

I have only ever hunted once with people with the great big decoys. we got some geese but they seemed akward to get in and out of, and to shoot from. Also transporting was a problem. for up here there are easier ways to get geese that using those big shells, but they might be the perfect solution in the right situation. Andy
Old 02-22-2006, 07:15 PM
Fork Horn

I've used one of these blinds for the last 2 or 3 years, and just bought a Final Approach layout about a2 months ago.Theshell blindsdo work ok and you can shoot geese from them..but..
It's defintaly a hassle keeping your shin/foot area covered up, you always need to have a little something to break up the outline of your legs, and like GWN3D said, they are akward to get in/out of. It's a little uncomfortable sitting when your waiting for the birds, and a little hard to see the birds as they're working. Although they have there disadvantages, they do still work.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:29 AM

OK I think your talking about the goose shell chairs, I'm talking about the giant decopy that you get inside of and laydown. It has bobbay doors that open up. The look very comfortable , my question is do they flare birds.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:51 AM

They didn't appear to, but have only had one time hunting with them, and too many variables to tell if they were the problem or if it just wasn't a great day. Andy