Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Sticks and stones

Old 01-08-2006, 09:53 PM

Default Sticks and stones

[hr]

Last weekend when i was duckhunting i saw a nice drake sprig in a canal after shootin time was over. So i got my dog to try and retrieve the bird but she couldn't see it cause it kept diving. So i got some of my friends that were there and we started to throw rocks and sticks at it. It took us about half an hour but i ended up catching him after hitting him with a rock near the back( i know i hit him in the back cause i saw the bruise where i hit him while i was picking him). Anybody else have any funny stories of how to get a crippled duck after shooting hours?
Old 01-09-2006, 06:40 AM

Default RE: Sticks and stones

I am not sure about California but we can shoot a cripple after Hours in Va. I would check into it I sure wouldn't want to be stoned to death if I was a crippled duck.

We shoot these ducks lay them out and take pictures but each one should be treated with respect.A pintail is a beatiful and graceful duck, around my way they are prized. Sorry but I don't have any funny stories like that.

You can also take a fishing pole with a small treble hook to retreive dead ones.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:18 AM

we tired him out, cause we kept making him dive every time he got air so
after i caught him i had to break his neck
Old 01-09-2006, 11:43 AM

Sounds like the part you enjoyed the most was breaking his neck, I think you are missing the best part of waterfowling.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:45 PM

I know its legal in Oregon because one time just shortly after shooting time,I had to kill a cripple. Well it just so happened thatthe local state trooper/game warden was close enough to hear my shot and came and talked to me,I just told him it was a cripple, which it was. He told me he was gladI took the time to retrieve it instead of just letting it go for coon bait. Oh, duckmasta, in your post you never said you shot your pintail drake, you just said you saw it in a canal, so did you shoot it or just kill it with rocks? And like Rebel Dog said, whereI am from a pintail drake isthe 6 pointbull elk of waterfowling. Without any pressure, he would have been therethe next day.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:40 PM

He was a cripple from somewhere i just dont know where from.
I would of liked to try and shoot him but it was a long time after shooting hours and my dad wasn't sure if we were aloud to. We get pintail alot at our club so it wasn't like we never shoot them atleast 3 pinatail are killed and tons more missed at our club.
Old 01-09-2006, 04:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

A pin is the most desired bird here in my neck of the woods too guys!! Kill them as quickly and cleanly as possible, the animal deserves the respect! Just my 2 cents. I am knocking you for trying to stay within the law, but another tidbit, as far as i know you, by throwing rocks to harvest game, that is the same as firing a shotgun to harvest game...
Old 01-09-2006, 06:16 PM

IMO, duckmasta did the right thing in staying within the law, and TRYING to kill the duck as quickly and cleanly as possible. i know people that wouldnt waste their time dealing with a cripple, so i give props to duckmasta for staying within the law, and retrieving a crippled duck he didnt even cripple.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:50 PM

even if the pintail was a spoonie instead i would have done the same thing to get the bird
Old 01-10-2006, 05:57 AM

I can't agree with stoning a duck. If the bird dodged rocks for 1/2 hr. it couldn't have been to crippled or in much pain, probably a broke wing. I would have returned the next day and shot it. That's just my take

Quick Reply: Sticks and stones

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.