Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

What species is this?

Old 12-11-2005, 03:25 PM

Default What species is this?

Yesterday morning I went out duck hunting on a small stock tank in Central Texas. My dad and I each got a green winged teal, beautiful ducks. Well after that, we had alot of hooded mergansers come in and in one group of gansers (as we call them) this weird duck came in. My dad shot it but we cant identify it. The body was all brown, not as dark as a black duck, the bill was black and shaped like a mallards. At first we thought it was a spoonbill, but after trying to eat just one of those we no longer shoot them. The bill is not as defined as a spoonies. The feet were black and grayish blue striped. I have attached pictures of the wing, sorry but I forgot to take a picture of the duck itself. This looks like no duck I have shot in my 5 years of hunting them. Thanks guys, and feel free to ask me questions about it in your replies.

Old 12-11-2005, 03:27 PM

Default RE: What species is this?

Another picture

Old 12-11-2005, 06:23 PM

sounds like a widgeon

4simpsons
Old 12-11-2005, 08:26 PM

No, Ive shoot a fair amount of widgeons and can easily identify them. The bill is shaped like a mallards, but completely black. Widgeons have a shorter, more pointed bill. The rump on this one was real short and stubby. The only duck it somewhat resembles is a lesser scaup hen, but Ive never shoot nor seen them on the pond before. Heres a picture of the scuap for reference. The speculum are very similar.

The only thing is that it was darker than this. If anyone shoots scaup, tell me if you think thats what it is.
Old 12-11-2005, 08:34 PM

You either shot a ring neck duck hen or a lesseror greater scaup hen.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator

My guess would be scaup

The widgeon hear have a very small amount of brown to the wings
Old 12-12-2005, 11:48 AM

It's definately not a widgeon. Looking at that wing, I'd have to say scaup....but your description doesn't fit.

Scaup are called bluebills for a reason. They don't have black bills....not even the hen. From your description of the bird my first inclination was drake gadwall. But that speculum definately isn't right.

My guess is Hen Ringneck.

Widgeon

Greater Scaup Hen

Lesser Scaup Pair

Hen Ringneck

Ringneck Speculum from Ducks at a Distance

Old 12-12-2005, 06:04 PM

Alrightnow Imsure that it was a ringneck hen. Thanks for the help j plate. The real life picture is almost identical to what it looked like. Ive shoot a couple of ringneck drakes, but havent seen a hen before.A scaup would have been weird to see out there, arent they sea birds?Thanks yall.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:14 PM

No problem. Glad to help.

Just study Ducks at a Distance and know what they are before you down them next time.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:02 PM

Alright Ill tell my dad to study next time

Quick Reply: What species is this?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.