Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 Wantin to start duck hunting... >

Wantin to start duck hunting...

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Wantin to start duck hunting...

Old 12-01-2005, 07:57 PM
Fork Horn

Default Wantin to start duck hunting...

I am 15 (43 days till I get my license) and I am thinking about getting started in hunting. Ive been deer, squirell, quail, rabbit, pheasent. and turkey hunting all my life, but never went duck hunting. I was just wondering how a guy could get started. What kinda dog to get? What to buy and stuff too.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:14 PM
Dev

Default RE: Wantin to start duck hunting...

I'm 19 and have been duck hunting since I was 10. The best advice I can give is to find someone that knows the ropes and hunt with them the first season. You'll learn a lot and have a jump start on your "career" in waterfowling. Good luck. Shoot em' in the lips.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:07 AM

You definitely want some to find somebody to knows the ropes. Waterfowling is an expensive hobby and for me it is and addiction.

Gear is expensive. Waders, Calls all that fun stuff. My best advice is to learn to call from somebody who knows what they are doing so you don't form any bad habits.

As far as a dog goes lab's are great, but I would findf somebody who has a dog already. The best way is definitely to have somebody show you the ropes, and like Dev said shoot em in the lips.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:48 PM

Yea, Ilhunter, you were purdy lucky werent you? haha. 20 is open all day tomorrow.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:14 PM

Best advise would be what Dev said other than that i would say learn your local ponds and landowners and always be good to them and never burn theiir bridges cause you never know where the bird are gonna show up.