Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Duck Boat's

Old 11-28-2005, 08:35 PM
Spike

Default Duck Boat's

Well I am looking at getting a duck boat with a couple of buddies of mine. Seeing as none of us has ever owned one before and it is pretty essential at this time of year around where we hunt, I am curious as to what brands and models are pretty good. I already have a 9.9 outboard so we don't want to go bigger than 16 feet. There will only be 2 guys and a dog at any given time in the boat.

So which blinds work the best, what camo pattern is most effective etc.
Is a 14 foot a good all around size or is a 12 foot more than enough boat?
We are thinking of going riveted to save a bit of money as opposed to welded. Is it that important to have a welded boat? Also is a modified V hull going to be more stable?

Thanks
Old 11-28-2005, 09:30 PM

Default RE: Duck Boat's

Try a 14' john boat. It should move all right withtwo men and a dog. It's the most stable and has plenty of room for two men and gear.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:38 PM

i agree. but alot of it also has to do with what type of huntin you do. do you hunt rivers or public land. cause the right boat makes all the difference but what boat you need depends on what type of huntin you do.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:54 PM
Spike

I'll be hunting rivers and lakes that have public marshes in them. Iwill be trailering the boat and only occasionally will we have to muscle iton and off. If need be we will take the engine and gas tank etc. off for that situation. I may also be hunting Lake Ontario (big water) occasionally. But I will be picking my days and stayingvery close to shore. I may just be using the boat to get from the shore to isolated points, marshes that can't be walked to. There is a fair amount of public land availbale for that style of hunting around here.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:13 PM

sounds like a 14' john boat would be perfect for you. hope i could help.