Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 good duck caller for a beginner >

good duck caller for a beginner

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

good duck caller for a beginner

Old 10-05-2005, 05:43 AM

Default good duck caller for a beginner

Now that duck season is about to start I need to look for a duck caller. this is something that I almost forgot about. I have to say I do like the Primos line. I got the Honky Tonk with the training DVD and that helped me out a lot. Now I just want to get a nice duck caller also. Thanks for any help or ideas.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:35 PM

Default RE: good duck caller for a beginner

I'm wondering the same thing.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:24 PM

well if your not wantin to get into the expensive good calls yet here are my pics. for a duck call id have to go with a quackhead original or a quackhead timber. for a goose call id buy the zink power maximus poly carb. but if your wantin some really good calls (which i would suggest you go ahead and buy) id go with a rnt original acrylic or a daisy cutter. for a goose call i like the foiles strait meat honker, but with goose calling its all about what you canblow.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:28 PM

Know that I read that I am looking for Malard, hen, and a call for red heads. All of these I have right in my backyard.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:29 AM

i started with the big river game calls. they are pretty cheap and easy to use. as you progress you can move up to the nicer calls. i now use the hunter g 007
Old 10-06-2005, 05:19 PM

Are the duck commanders any good?
Old 10-06-2005, 06:03 PM

My two cents is this, if you’re going to get into duck call, go to a show that will have duck calling contest. This way some reps. will be there and you can practice on a lot of different calls, Shot reeds, single reeds and double reed and so on.

Back in the beginning I would only buy cheap calls and being a cheap call, I never did very well on calling in ducks.
(buy the time the ducks make it to SoCal. They have heard it all, so if your not real good at Duck calling you just don’t call at all)

I thought it was me but one day at a show, I was talking to some of the pro's and they all said there as nothing wrong with me, it was my calls. (I thought they were full of it. You know just trying to get me to Buy one of there calls)
But I said, ok Ill try it. not like I was going to hurt anything, seeing that I was not any good at duck calling, so I will try some of there practice calls.
Well I'll tell you this, I don't have any cheap calls any more and they keep trying to get me into there duck calling contest. (I say no thanks, I'm a meat caller not a contest caller.)

If you’re looking for a good quality duck call, you can't go wrong with a JJ Lares or Taylor Talker. For goose calls, I would recommend Taylor Talkers or Basin Abomination. The most important thing in buying the more expensive calls is the customer service you get, and how you are treated when you need it retuned or help LEARNING how to blow it.

Good Luck

Old 10-06-2005, 06:39 PM

How much do those calls cost?
Old 10-07-2005, 11:06 AM

I will have to check to see what they go for now but they used to me about $50 to $75.

I'll find out and posted up latter
Old 10-07-2005, 11:48 AM

TaylorTalkers.com

Quick Reply: good duck caller for a beginner

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.