Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Where do you aim?

Old 10-01-2005, 01:11 PM

Default RE: Where do you aim?

What book or video do you guys recommend to a beginner hunter?
Old 10-30-2005, 09:20 PM

I wouldn't say I aim at anything because I don't look at my gun sight either. Your gun will shoulder natuarlally. once you start hitting birds,
LOOK at the beek of the bird and you will find that you will start SMASH"N them off. Lots of hunters hit the birds in the breast. it's not a matter of where you are aiming but most will be looking at the breast because that is the largest part of the bird.You will hit the bird where you are looking at it.
I used to hit birds in the chest all the time until 3 years ago I got this speach from a hunter that wacks the beaks off on a regular basis.
Try it. Just LOOK at the beak!

good luck
Old 10-30-2005, 09:31 PM
Dominant Buck

Come from behind, lead, pull the trigger and follow thru.
You point a Shotgun, you don't aim Shotgun!
Like Marksmen said, the shot gun has toshoulder natuarlally.

Do you know if you need cast-on or cast-off on the stock?
Have you been to a Shot Gun Shop and been fitted to a
proper fit on a Shot Gun? Do you know if you are Right or
Left dominate eye?
Old 10-31-2005, 02:20 PM

I just stand up, start blasting and hope for the best! Matt
Old 10-31-2005, 02:48 PM

Ya it depends on how far away the bird is from your barrel.Mostly in front of the head though.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:30 AM
Typical Buck

First off welcome to waterfowling ,but be forewarned , it can be addictive to some.
I wholeheartedly concur the best place to learn the skills you need and to start becoming the best wingshot you can be is on a skeet field.
The first thing you must develope is a good repeatable gunmount. Once that is accomplished the gun can be properly fitted. A good instructor will make all the difference here. When those are accomplished then it is off to the skeet field. You will learn the basics and a good instructor will teach you all the methods of shooting. Swing thru, pull away and sustained lead. It is good to know all three styles but IMHO sustained is best left on the clay fields.
When you are consistenly breaking a minimum of 22 birds or more LOW GUN on the skeet field you will be ready to advance to sporting and the field.
Like stated you don't aim a shotgun. One's focus is one the target never on the bead. I've always found the bird's eye is the best point to take a lead for one reason. If you can clearly see a birds eye it is within proper gunning range to ensure clean kills. The ability to focus , instinct and muscle memory is what makes tops shooter. Once the shooter makes their move to the target they are locked in on thier target exclude everything else and the subconcious lets them know when it's right.
It's not going to come overnight, but with a little effort if won't take all that long either.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:33 AM

For me I think alot of it comes natural just like throwing a baseball to first base, (instincts) just don't be tense.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:05 AM

I instinctivley aim right in front of there face, that does a lot of amage to the face. I shoot clays a lot to keep my swing natural.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:04 PM

I aim at the ducks.