Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 Are ducks easyier to get then geese? >

Are ducks easyier to get then geese?

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Are ducks easyier to get then geese?

Old 09-05-2005, 07:22 AM

Default Are ducks easyier to get then geese?

Well my first weekend of hunting was a big learner for me. I did not get a goose but at least I learned a in two days.

What kind of got to me was yesterday after I setup my decoys and get them a little better looking them Satruday I had ducks just landing in my docoys with out even a call.

The first one landed about 2 min after my dog and I got out of the water. I just got out the water and I was putting Mongos stake in the ground and I heard a spash and I look up and there is a young duck in the decoys. It looked like this was one of this years chicks. It was in their for a little and then took off.

About a 1/2 hour latter anouther young chick came into the decoys. Then about a hour latter a full grown hen came in. Durring this time I had a flock of 3 mallards come flying inbut did not land. This also made me come up with a questionis it safe to shoot at aduck that is less them 5 feetfrom your head and at eye level. (yea that is how close they came to me Iwas shocked)

Then I had (I can not remember thename of this breed) a duck with a red head on itcome lowbut did not land. This was all with in 3 hours.All I had was 4 goose decoys and 6duck and a goose caller. I did not even have a duck call. I have a total of 12 duck decoys and I think I am going to try and get anouther box of 12 so I have a nice spread going when season opens on the 12 of oct.

I have to say I like duck better then goose so I am not moving my spot that I choose with this much action for the ducks.

To my shock it seems like the ducks fly lower and like decoys a lot more then geese do. Now I have to get a duck call to get that down. I am just wondering is this normal with ducks where they just do not wise up as much as geese do?
Old 09-05-2005, 08:55 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Are ducks easyier to get then geese?

Hey Vee, like these? they are called Redheads.,

Old 09-05-2005, 10:38 AM

Yep that is it. So I did have the name right they are just red heads.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:29 PM

The answer depends on where you're hunting. In my experience when hunting water, you get more ducks with an occasional goose. Ducks will fly in and out from water holes during the day and geese prefer to feed in the fields during the daylight hours.
There are times when both will fly into your setup on water.

Andthe bigger your decoy spread the better. Get at least 2 dozen decoys and split them on the water with a hole in the middle where you want them to land. If you bunch them up, they will land on the outside edges making for longer shots.

Good Luck
Old 09-14-2005, 07:32 PM

I hunt in central Kansas. We hunt geese in wheat fields and corn fields. Without question we have lots more luck getting ducks to decoy rather than geese. I'm hoping to change that this year, but decoying ducks is not nearly as difficult. Duck decoys are significantly cheeper too!.

Good luck.

Mike
Old 09-14-2005, 07:52 PM

ORIGINAL: 4simpsons

Duck decoys are significantly cheeper too!.

Good luck.

Mike
Yea tell me about it. Bought 4 goose decoys for $65 and 12 duck decoys for $18. I wish I knew why geese were so much more money.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:26 PM

What kinda decoys you get.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:42 PM

I bought a box of Remington ones. It has 6 hens and 6 mallards. They were one sale at Bass Pro when they had a big huntsale and seminars.
Old 09-16-2005, 07:36 AM

the answer to this also depends on your local. in NJ our ducks are smart- real smart. but geese seem to decoy to anything and my little brother can call them with an obnoxiously loud mallard call.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:27 AM

I like field hunting geese better than ducks over water. at our local lake we get about 50/50 ducks/geese, and getting them in never brings much of a problem. but you have to really get your chit straight to kill geese in a corn field.