Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 Am I missing anything for my first weekend of hunting >

Am I missing anything for my first weekend of hunting

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Am I missing anything for my first weekend of hunting

Old 08-27-2005, 03:59 PM

Default Am I missing anything for my first weekend of hunting

Next week is my first weekend of hunting ever doing it myself. From a lot of help on this board I think I might be set but I just want to make sure I am missing anything.

All stamps and permits
Remingiton 870 Super Mag
About 50 rounds of shot different makes and type to test out
Waiders
Camo Jacket (Using the one for deer right now till I get the cash for a 2nd jacket but with being for broken woods it does match the other gear a little)
Camo Face Mask for waterfoul
Waistband ammo and gear holder
4 27" goose flotters( I know I need more but I ran out of cash with college)
Decoy bag
Laydown foam mat
Oakley sun glasses with orange lens (I have 2 other lenses that I can pop in but find these good for targets)
Goose Caller (going to try and learn it this week with the DVD)
Getting Gloves this weekend I forgot about them

O and one very tall yellow lab that weights about 120lbs and is in shape (first time hunting for him also)

When I gear upall of my skin that you can see if just a little bit of my nose between the bottom my glasses to the top of the nose piece on the glasses. So about a inch of skin.

From reading all the postsI think I have have what I need to at least have a good start but I thought I would ask to make sure I am not missing so little that I am going to be kicking myself half way through the day.

Tomarrow I am walking the property to see if I can find some geese so I know where to setup at in the morning.

Thanks

Old 08-27-2005, 11:17 PM

Default RE: Am I missing anything for my first weekend of hunting

I'd say your wound up too tight trying to make everything come together perfectly. That's not duck hunting, the minute you wake up its not going to go as planned
Old 08-28-2005, 08:27 AM

Part of me wants that. I have to say I am more excited I guess you could say about it more then anything. I am just looking forward to this a lot and I just would hate to get my self screwed up because of one little thing I forgot.

After Saturday I should be good. I do not think I will get anything but at least I will get it out of my system for going for the first time.
Old 08-28-2005, 09:56 AM

Big sheet of fast grass to cover yourself and a tie down post for your dog so he dont go running around when the action starts.Have fun
Old 08-28-2005, 04:08 PM

ORIGINAL: vonottoexperience

Big sheet of fast grass to cover yourself and a tie down post for your dog so he dont go running around when the action starts.Have fun

Thanks. The post idea is great one.

The spot I found today for where I want to try hunting is right in a huge feild of cat tails so I will cut some down as I go into the start of it so I can make a cover for myself. The only problem is that they are about 7-8' tall so it makes it hard to see stuff coming in but I think I might be able to trim and work on it.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:39 PM

Im alittle confused, your hunting in afield of 7' catails? are the Geese landing in there? We hunt cut corn fields or sod patches. The Geese usually stay far away from standing cover, it concel's preditors..like us
Old 08-28-2005, 07:25 PM

I have a creek that is running through the swamp land. Where I am setting up at is down from a tree line and the creek is about 30 to 40' wide at that point. With the little ran we had this year it is only about 2-3 feet deep in sections.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:17 PM

Hey as long as you have seen geese in it go for it tell us what happens, and good luck.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:49 PM

ORIGINAL: Md25

Hey as long as you have seen geese in it go for it tell us what happens, and good luck.
I hope so I saw some flying back their today but I did not see them when I did some training with my Lab.

The spot I was wanting to hit got hit hard by the lack of rain of rain this year. So this is my backup site that I know they have landed at in past years. I have a 2nd spot after this but I know from past years being back their with freinds that their are hunters down close to that site with a blind and it is hard to bring down the geese because of their shots. If they are not their that day I am going to get down their if my spot is not working. My other backup is our pond. Only problem is that is it at the bottom of a hill so most of the time they are out of range and they go to the creek.

In the off season though I want to buy a lot of decoys to cover my lawn and pond better to see if I can try to bring them in to there. At the pondI do not haveany hunters close to me at all. The problem is just trying to get them down and I do not think my 4 decoys right now of geese is going to help me with getting them to a place that they normaly do not land.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

a good hunting partner never hurt

Quick Reply: Am I missing anything for my first weekend of hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.