Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Shot Size?

Old 08-16-2005, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Shot Size?

Im going on my first duck hunt this year and I have a couple of questions. What shot size should I use? Im going to mississippi and ill be hunting flooded timber so I wont be trying to make any 500yd shots or anything my guess would all be 50yds. and under. Ill be shooting a Mossberg 500 and from what I read in another post I should use a mod. choke or Mid range choke. I plan on shooting mallards, wood duck, pintail and similar size ducks. And since this is my first duck hunt is there anything else I should know? Thanks, sean
Old 08-16-2005, 01:48 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Shot Size?

Rusty, lake Tallequin close to you is great.

Waterfowl (steel shot)
[ul][*]Geese - BBB, BB, 1[*]Ducks (over decoys) - 2, 3, 4[*]Ducks (pass shooting) - BB, 1, 2[/ul]
Waterfowl (tungsten alloy shot)

[ul][*]Geese - BB, 2[*]Ducks (over decoys) - 4, 5, 6[*]Ducks (pass shooting) - 2, 4[/ul]
One last note: it is a very good idea to pattern your shotgun with whatever load you have selected before you go hunting. I know it is a lot of trouble, but shooting a few test patterns can prevent a lot of grief. Few shotguns shoot all shot sizes equally well, and sometimes going up or down just a single shot size can make a dramatic difference in pattern distribution. Ignorance is not bliss; know before you go.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:52 PM
Fork Horn

I use BB for geese and #4 for ducks
Old 08-16-2005, 01:57 PM

If you are hunting flooded timber then you probably won't have too many passing shots and most should (hopefully) be decoying shots. I would start out with 2 shot and if the birds are decoying close then maybe drop down to 4.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:47 PM
Typical Buck

Maybe you can get together with a few of your friends to differ costs and see what patterns best of of your shotgun/choke combination. Pattern different loads and go with what gives your the best pattern.
Take into account your shooting abilities. Are you going with steel or another non tox shot. In steel I'd stick with 2's &3's if they pattern well a good choice for good pattern density and hitting power use the one that patterns best. In other non tox you could got to 4's or even 6's again take into account you abilities..
My personal preference is steel 3's with mod chokes in both barrels and I keep shots to nder 45 yards no matter what. They work on both ducks and geese if you respect your limitations. Hitting birds in the body is not my idea of good shooting hence my use of tight chokes.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:14 PM

#4 xpert steel winchesters not to expensive.
Old 08-20-2005, 07:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

I always try to use #3 for ducks, but sometimes anything fro a BBB to a 4 gets popped in the chamber.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:51 AM
Fork Horn

I've never hunted flooded timber but I heard its hard to shoot ducks in it because they seem to drop straight down. Anyways, all we do is decoy hunt up here in South Dakota, and we use 1's. Sometimes in the late season we will shoot BB.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:23 AM

#2's
Old 08-29-2005, 11:28 AM

Fasteel # 3- 2 3/4" Fantastic hot load.

Quick Reply: Shot Size?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.