Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Ears Are Ringing

Old 09-25-2002, 06:24 PM

Default Ears Are Ringing

I was hunting in a duck boat on Saturday and had a gun go off right by my ear and my ears are still ringing. How long does it take to go away?

Shoot Straight,

SmokePole
Old 09-25-2002, 11:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ears Are Ringing

Your ears are still ringing from last Saturday!?I think I'd go to the doctor and get checked out.You may have injured your eardrums.
Old 09-26-2002, 04:46 AM
Typical Buck

I agree with Jim ,go see a doctor and then have a dicussion with you buddy about safety as it applies in waterfowling. You're lucky you didn't get shot.
Waterfowling is fun and a great part of the outdoors but can be one of the most dangerous when people in a blind or boat don't follow simple rules.
1. EVERYONE either sits or stands when making a shot. Get that straight before shooting time. One guy doesn't sit while another stands.
2. Everyone has a predetermined zone of fire.

I could go on with others gun saftey etc.,but these are two of the most important. I'm sure by now you reliese the error made and consider yourself in the lucky to be alive dept.
Old 09-26-2002, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with everybody else here, your ears should have cleared up pretty quick after the shot, you better see a doctor. Ruddyduck is right about the rules, you have to lay them down in advance, and if necessary enforce them as the season goes along. Nothing is more important than gun safety period!!!
Old 09-26-2002, 07:54 AM

I agree with all you! I actually went to the doctor on Monday and she said that there was swelling, but my ear drum was fine. She gave me a prescription that would reduce the swelling, but said it would take about a week. I just wanted to ask if anyone had a similar experience. As for safety, I agree. I will never hunt with these people again. Not duck is worth losing my hearing. I made them take me home right after it happen.

Shoot Straight,

SmokePole
Old 09-27-2002, 10:03 AM

About 10 years ago my college roommate took a shot at some Canada geese with his gun barrel about 3 inches from my head. My left ear has rung ever since and continues to worsen every year dispite constant use of ear protection in the field from that point on. The doctors say the damage is permanent and not only is the ringing annoying, it makes understanding people very difficult esp in noisy places.

So, ALWAYS use ear protection. Even if its just cotton balls in your ears. Anything is better than nothing at all.

Any day spent huntin, is better than any day spent workin,,

Duckmastor2