Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

spinning wing decoys

Old 07-18-2005, 03:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default spinning wing decoys

what is the deal with the spinning wing decoys? i know that states are banning the electric motor versions, but not the wind powered ones. i was looking into them, not sure if im going to buy one or not and found this at cabelas, for a wind powered spinner, http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...831&hasJS=true
at the very beginning it says dont wait to see if your state is banning these becuase it is not illegal. is that true? also what are your feelings about them, to me the almost feel like cheating but to keep up with the people on public land i almost need to get one. do they work as good as they say? thanks for all your help
Joey
Old 07-18-2005, 10:02 PM

Default RE: spinning wing decoys

when they first came out i thought they where the best thing ever invented for duck huntin. but as the years go by it seems like it makes the ducks more skiddish. we have one but we only use it early in the season. i think at the end of the season the ducks have seen enough of them. but thats just my opinion
Old 07-19-2005, 12:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Early in the season they are murder.

Wait 2-3 weeks and the same setup will flair birds.

I don't know current laws for any state other than OHIO .
In Ohio we have No band on any decoy .

Call your local game warden to check in your state.

Johnch

Old 07-19-2005, 06:44 AM

I agree they are better in the early season and also when the conditions are so that Ducks are looking for a place to sit (Such as Iced Up Conditions) it gives them the confidence they need to make the decision. I use one every chance I can and as long as it is legal than I wouldn't consider it unfair, if you think like that than you need to get rid of your decoys and calls. It is just another tool to use. Also if they are not illegal to use where you are hunting than why are you debating I would buy one to use for one season, what good is the wind driven one doing you if there is no wind?
Old 07-19-2005, 11:57 AM
Fork Horn

Do you guys use the wind powered or the motorized ones? Money is somewhat a problem because I am only 16 years old so im looking for something $50-60 or under.
Joey
Old 07-20-2005, 11:14 AM

Tell your parents or Relatives to get you an early Christmas present and get a Mo Jo.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:49 PM

dkhunter if you are looking at getting a motorized for cheap check ebay out I bought a mojo last week for 49 bucks and when I received it, it was brand new still in the plastic not one scratch or anything wrong with it even though the seller said it was used
Old 07-25-2005, 06:19 PM

those things work early in the season, just dont use them later on in the season, the ducks wont fall for it.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:30 PM

If anyone is going to purchase a mojo...i highly suggest buying one on the floating pedastal. you can use them anywhere. Where i hunt, a private 80 acre pond we own it is too muddy to not use the floating mojo. They also work very well in fields. Just my 2 cents for anyone buying a mojo.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:25 PM

i agree with mnfowlplay i just wish we would have bought one of those instead of the ones on the pole. but get a mojo man there worth it. even if u just get one on the pole. but dont even bother with it in the late season. im not sure where you can find one that cheap but you might wanna try ebay like catt_daddy said.

Quick Reply: spinning wing decoys

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.