Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

What would we do??

Old 06-09-2005, 07:48 AM

Default What would we do??

I started the favorite duck thread and the responses made me think of something interesting. Where or how would we duck hunt if Mallards didn't exsist? Divers would be easy, but what about the puddlers? the way we hunt ducks across the country is pretty much imitating the mallard especially calling! I have used and still do to some degree Wood Duck, pintail and teal calls but I really don't think ducks respond to those as to a Mallard call maybe another duck would prevale as the dominant duck? any thoughts?
Old 06-09-2005, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What would we do??

I have found in late season all puddle ducks including Mallards tend to respond to other calls better than the Mallard call.

I started using a Gadwall or Pintail call late in the season ,with better results ( the same mallard decoys).

The mallard call is easy to use and it is over used IMO

Johnch
Old 06-10-2005, 07:46 AM

I totally agree I hunt an area that is hunted pretty hard and our ducks wise up fast and they also hear alot of calling good and bad. But late in the season I don't even call unless we are under a freeze and the ducks are looking for open water.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:53 PM

it seems here in almost the whole season all the puddlers will respond to a mallard call..especially GWT..even some divers will respond to it..but one of my favorite calls is the buck gardner 6-in-1 whistle..it is deadly on almost all the ducks..especially mallards and black ducks..plus you can use it as a pintail,woodduck,wigeon,mallard,etc....it's by far one of my favorites

p.s.-i highly recommend this call(buck gardner 6-in-1 whistle) or the haydels whistle is another good one...this call should definately go on the lanyard..and if the ducks won't respond to the mallard call...try this call...plus i got the buck gardner whistle for 8 dollars from wal-mart and it came with a "fowlmouth" double reed duck call
Old 06-11-2005, 09:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Maybe I will have to get me one of those whistles for this year....do any come with instuctional tapes????

Welcome to the community OneShotWill!!!!!
Old 06-11-2005, 05:18 PM

ORIGINAL: Carpmaster

Maybe I will have to get me one of those whistles for this year....do any come with instuctional tapes????

Welcome to the community OneShotWill!!!!!

^^thanks for the welcome..i'm not sure if they come with an instructional tape but i'm sure you can find one..what i did was i looked for some sound files throughout the internet of live ducks..then i just try to sound like them
Old 06-11-2005, 05:26 PM

you can check out the whistle at www.buckgardner.com , i read that it comes with instructions but i don't know about an instruction tape or cd..it's also only 6 dollars
Old 06-12-2005, 09:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for the link Will, for that price I will have to give one a try this year!!!
Old 06-12-2005, 11:50 AM

no problem man..those whistles can be deadly late in the season