Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Favorite Duck

Old 06-08-2005, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Favorite Duck

For me it would have to be the big mallards in the late season.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:37 AM

I think this says something it took 17 votes for someone to pick a Green Head There is no question that it is the most hunted and desirable but not always the favorite it may be because it is the most common of ducks and getting that "other" is exciting.

So as of 6/7

Wood Duck = 5
Pintail = 4
Canvasback = 3
Mallard = 1
Blue Wing Teal = 1
Bufflehead = 1
Widgeon = 1
And the rare Drake mallard Pintail Hybrid = 1
Old 06-15-2005, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think it says something about the region that I hunt in. We hunt the way that it has been done for many years. We hunt the way that we are famous for hunting. We hunt the way that we love to hunt. We hunt in green timber. When you hunt green timber about 95% of the birds that you kill are going to be mallards. Also, all of the really big bunches that you get in (100-10000) are going to be mallards. We can go to the fields and kill other stuff but most of the guys around here prefer to be in the woods. There is just something about watching mallards come in through the timber that is special to people around here. The last year I duck hunted seriously we killed about 3,400 mallards out of our hole in the timber. That year we hunted 24 guys in one hole for 7 straight days and we had a 96 bird limit every morning by 9:00. That's why the mallard is our favorite bird. I suspect if everyone else were able to experience that type of hunting then you would have a few more people throwing votes for the mallard. I think Pintails and Wood Ducks are the prettiest and I love killing Pintails BUT my favorite to hunt is the mallard. My problem is I just can't pull away from whitetails long enough anymore to go and do it.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:30 AM

silentassassin, where I hunt here in va. we are right on the potomac river we have River ducks Canvasback, Bluebills an occasional Red Head and Golden Eye. Then we can move into the creeks which is actually like tidal marsch and get Mallards, Black Ducks Widgeon, Ringneck and occasional Pintail. Not much timber hunting, but last year on the last day of the season the whole river and the creeks had frozen and we found a feeder creek back up in the woods that all the ducks were congregating to. Well we went in and jumped them off and spread out waiting for them to return which we knew they would and I have to say it was the most fun I have seen in years, there is defiantly something about a Mallard and Timber thatis suppose to be! The echo of the shot ringing through the woods is awsome. Well we have been doing thisquit a few years and we keep learning moreto the point that there really isn't a day that we don't see some kind of action but I know now when it freezes we are headed back in the timber.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:23 AM

ORIGINAL: silentassassin

The last year I duck hunted seriously we killed about 3,400 mallards out of our hole in the timber. That year we hunted 24 guys in one hole for 7 straight days and we had a 96 bird limit every morning by 9:00.
So that is what happened to all of the ducks... j/k
Old 06-25-2005, 08:13 PM
Fork Horn

wood ducks are probably my favorite duck, nothing beats a mature drake
Old 06-26-2005, 12:34 PM

canvasback.
Old 06-26-2005, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

mallard thats pretty much all thats aroundhere
Old 06-26-2005, 08:13 PM

As far as beauty it would have to be this duck i saw on the DU website called a Eurasian Widgeon. but overall i think cinnamon teal are my favortie.
Old 06-27-2005, 07:54 AM

Wood duck, next is that green winged one.

Quick Reply: Favorite Duck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.