Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Classifieds > Wanted
 first timer - which gun? >

first timer - which gun?

Wanted Post your ad here and let us help you find what you're looking for.

first timer - which gun?

Old 04-12-2005, 11:34 AM

Default first timer - which gun?

im new to hunting, can someone give me some info about what gun i should get. Im going to be shooting rabbits and planning on buying second hand.
Old 04-12-2005, 03:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: first timer - which gun?

Buy a remington 870 express with a 3" chamber - just get the matte black with walnut stock. Even new, they're really cheap. Make sure that you go with a 12 gauge (it's the most common, with lots of cheap ammo available).

I think they offered a few packages that came with a rifled slug barrel and a smoothbore shotgun barrel - if you can find one used, it would be ideal.

It's indestructible and you can shoot slugs with it if you want to hunt deer or other big game.

I started out with one, used it mainly for rabbits/squirrels, then I used it for spring gobblers, and I even killed a few deer with it. Very effective and user-friendly.

I'd look for one with interchangeable chokes (you'll learn more about this over time).

To start off with, I'd look for the 26-28" barrel. I think the factory gun comes with a Modified choke, which is also fine for small game.

Anybody else have any suggestions??
Old 04-13-2005, 11:21 AM

it looks gr8 but im from england and it seems quite hard to find any for sale, ill keep lookin tho. Also, what is the difference with longer barrels rather than shorter barrels?
Old 04-13-2005, 01:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hmm...

I can't help you with what may/may not be available to ya, but I can give you a little help.

Winchester, Remington, Browning, Ithaca and Benelli are good brands, and even their older models are pretty high quality.

www.gunbroker.com offers a TON of guns (new and used) and will ship to any licensed firearms dealer (in the U.S., we call them F.F.L.'s) (federal firearms license or something).

Go there, and look for 12 gauge shotguns, and get an idea as to what you can afford. Then, hit up your local gunshop and see if they can get one for you.

I'm unsure about what arrangements must be made to ship a U.S.-registered firearm over international waters. I'm pretty sure that it would behoove you to find something at a local shop. Use Gunbroker as a research tool for price and what you want.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:04 PM

thanks for the help
Old 04-21-2005, 05:27 AM
Typical Buck

The purpose for choosing a barrel length is mainly for gun balance. If you have a mod. choke in both 26" or 28" barrel, both will pattern the same. In clay shooting, more and more 30" barrels are being used. I don't know why. Heavier gun = less recoil?
Old 05-05-2005, 10:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Heavier gun = less recoil?
some of The energy is transfered to the weapon apone discharge( a push backwards)- the heavier it is& less is transfered to you& more absorbed by the firearm itself & that means then less will get to you.

A heavyier object is harder to push then a lighter one- heavyier requiers more energy to push then a lighter one- the energy has to go somewhere.

I dont even know if i made that clear , but blame my typing?

Uassally but not always - a longer barrel will give you more speed/volisity to the bullet( a longer time in the barrel to be pushed by the powder charge then - before it leaves the barrel.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:17 AM
Fork Horn

I would suggest first finding out what range you would be shooting at.then talk to some frends and see what they shoot . if possible shoot rifles from 243 to 308 and shotguns from 12 and 16 gauge . that info will tell you what you can handle as far as range and weapon. as far as recoil allot of that depends on the bullet or load . you can go light but need to make sure it is heavy enough to drop a deer . and i would suggest a heavy load and add a limb saver recoil pad to make sure you dont wound a animal
Old 05-10-2005, 05:15 PM

ORIGINAL: Mite

The purpose for choosing a barrel length is mainly for gun balance. If you have a mod. choke in both 26" or 28" barrel, both will pattern the same. In clay shooting, more and more 30" barrels are being used. I don't know why. Heavier gun = less recoil?
Longer barrel because the farther the two sights are from eachother, the more accurate. PLus it may balance better for some. Personal preference.
Old 05-16-2005, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ive noticed longer barrels give better shot strings less holes in the pattern.

Quick Reply: first timer - which gun?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.