Community
Video & Photography Tips, tricks, and suggestions for videotaping and photographing your hunts.

Shiras moose

Old 06-13-2012, 01:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default Shiras moose

Been seeing quite a few moose in my neck of the woods lately. Saw nine the other day, but could only get close enough for a pic of this one. This is a Shiras moose.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nice moose pictures! I can not get that close to them here as of yet anyways. I know this fall will not be much of a problem though.. I noticed your moose appear quite a bit lighter in color. Do they get to am almost black color as well like ours do? Also what is the average dressed wieght of them? Thanks for sharing with us..
Old 06-14-2012, 05:36 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Phil from Maine
Nice moose pictures! I can not get that close to them here as of yet anyways. I know this fall will not be much of a problem though.. I noticed your moose appear quite a bit lighter in color. Do they get to am almost black color as well like ours do? Also what is the average dressed wieght of them? Thanks for sharing with us..
Thanks Phil for the comment. Yes they will be getting darker in color. According to the F&G, the average Shiras moose fielddresses out to 544 pounds. How does that compare to the moose from your area?
Old 06-14-2012, 06:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for the answers... The Maine's F&G web site does not give the average wieght.. However it is prolly around 700 to 750 lbs. We get some up here each year that will dress out over 1,000 lbs.. Those big brutes are harder to find though..
Old 06-14-2012, 11:19 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Phil from Maine
Thanks for the answers... The Maine's F&G web site does not give the average wieght.. However it is prolly around 700 to 750 lbs. We get some up here each year that will dress out over 1,000 lbs.. Those big brutes are harder to find though..
Your variety of moose are definitely larger than ours.