Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Video & Photography
Camera Advice......... >

Camera Advice.........

Community
Video & Photography Tips, tricks, and suggestions for videotaping and photographing your hunts.

Camera Advice.........

Old 08-22-2011, 08:02 AM
Fork Horn

Default Camera Advice.........

I've been looking around for a camera to film others I hunt with, along with my own hunts. The cameras that I'm looking at now are the Canon HV(20,30,40) and the Sony HDR-CX110. Just wanted to know if these are decent cameras and if anybody had any advice on others around that price range. I realize that accessories are as important as the camera itself for quality footage, which I will purchase after I find a camera. Thanks in advance for any help.......
Old 08-22-2011, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

For the price range im guessing you want to stick to something like a handy cam. If you are looking for better color quality the sony handy cam would be your best option however when it comes to low light the cannon is the way to go. Personally i would rather sacrifice a little duller color then not have enough light in those crucial last minutes of shooting light!! So i would go with the cannon HV 40 if those were the options you were looking at in my opinion. Hope this helps a little bit any more questions just let me know. Jake
Old 08-23-2011, 07:45 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks........yeah, I was gonna get something to get started with and then maybe upgrade in a few years. Just want something that has a good quality. Would you go with the above cameras over something like a Canon GL1 or something similar?? Every time I go to get one, I start second guessing........haha.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:06 PM
Spike

We also use the Sony handycam. Its a pretty solid camera that has held up well for 2 full seasons now. We also have 2 primos camera arms that aren't bad but they cost more than $100. We recently earned a sponsership with Team Moment of Truth out of Indiana and they just built their own camera arm and it is far superior (IMO) to the Primo's arms. Believe me I could go on for a couple pages listing equipment that we would recommend but just ask if there is anything specific. BTW if you wanna see a couple of videos shot using the Sony's then go to www.browtineproductions.com
Old 10-03-2011, 07:31 PM
Fork Horn

The videos look really good! Thanks for the info......
Old 10-07-2011, 02:48 PM
Fork Horn

I wouldn't hesitate on buying One of the Canon HV line videocameras. I purchased an HV20 a couple of years ago and love it. I would recommend it over a Sony handycam any day. I'm not sure why it was said that the handycams have better color.

When i did my research i found that the HV line of cameras had the best quality picture of any videocameras in that price range and the next higher price range. The only shortfall would be in low light situations they might not be as good as others and they do lack any manual controls for low light situations. But i never have lost a shot oppourtunity because of it.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:51 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the info, if I can find a Canon in good condition, I'll probably go with that one.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:53 PM
Fork Horn

I ended up getting a Canon HV 30 with Raynox Wide Angle Lens on Ebay. What's a good shotgun mic for this camcorder??
Old 10-25-2011, 05:02 PM
Fork Horn

A Rode Videomic works well. That what i use on my HV20. Canon also make a shotgun mic of their own too. The DM-50 and the DM-100. Couldn't give you any info on how they work. Never used one.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:18 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks, I saw a few of your hunts on Youtube.........great videos.